CRAMOND CAMMO EDINBURGH
HISTORY AND CULTURE ACTIVITIES ATTRACTIONS
CAMMO HOUSE, GARDENS, AND NATURE RESERVE HISTORIC BUILDINGS
Cammo House was built in the early part of the 1690s by a John Menzies a wealthy businessman and was later sold
to Sir John Clerk in 1710. Sir John Clerk with an interest in landscaping set out the gardens of Cammo house over the
next several years. The house is now a ruin and the lands are now open to the public. Things to look for are the ruin
of Cammo House, the said to be oldest and largest Ash tree in Edinburgh, the East Lodge, Cammo Tower,
The Cammo Stane and if very lucky the Ghosts of Cammo House.
CAMMO HOUSE RUINS
CAMMO TREE PLANTED 1854
CAMMO STANDING STONE
CAMMO WATER TOWER
Cammo water tower was built in the 1870’s and supplied Cammo house with water. The water was run by a pump by a windmill that was on top of the Tower which is no longer there.
CAMMO HOUSE RUINS
CAMMO NATURE RESERVE
LAURISTON CASTLE EDINBURGH
Lauriston Castle is decorated and furnished as it would have been in 1926, when it was bequeathed to the nation by its owner Mrs Reid. Take a walk round the beautiful gardens or meditate in the Japanese garden gifted by Kyoto. The Castle was built at the end of the 16th century for the Napier family. (Alexander Napier was brother of John, invento and maths genius). Other owners the said to be world’s first millionaire John Law 1671-1729.
LAURISTON CASTLE GARDENS
CRAMOND VILLAGE 8400 B.C. This was the oldest known area of where there is evidence of human settlement in Scotland (8400 B.C.). The Romans used the area as a camp and evidence shows Cramond started to grow as a village
in 142 A.D. Cramond was also the first area the residents were called commuters, as the new railway built in 1894 would take the residence of the area to Edinburgh City to work. There are many historic buildings and interesting
things to see in Cramond Village a short Taxi ride from Edinburgh city centre. You can also see the Royal Burgess Golf Club the oldest established golf club in the World founded in 1735. The oldest recorded area of human habitation in Scotland is just outside Edinburgh at Howburn dated from (12000 B.C.).
Septimius Severus was the last Roman Emperor to try and conquer Scotland in 208 AD but died of illness in 210 AD.
A previous emperor Antoninus Pius also tried to conquer the Scots but gave up after 30 years about in 140 AD.
The Romans failed in their attempts to conquer Scotland and all they left were ruins, walls, roads and bridges which can still be seen today. Both emperors built forts in Cramond about a century apart. This area was inhabited by many hundreds of Romans and was more like a town than a Fort. Don’t miss the Cramond Lioness a sandstone sculpture found in 1997 in the river bed at Cramond. Depicting a Lioness devouring a human torso (600 B.C – 200 B.C.) now in the National Museum in Edinburgh.
Cramond Village Edinburgh
The Cramond Tower once the residence of the Bishop of Dunkeld. Originally built in the 11th century and left vacant for over 300 years it was renovated in the 1970s under strict guidance from historians.
Cramond Kirk Cramond Village Edinburgh
Cramond Kirk dates from the 15th century with additions in 1800s. The bell is from Holland as were most church bells in Scotland.
Roman Bath House Ruins
Cramond Village Edinburgh
The Bathhouse was found while the car park was being constructed in 1975.
This is said to be the best preserved Roman
Bathhouse in Scotland.
STONE FISH SCULPTURE Cramond Esplanade
The Stone Fish Sculpture all of 8 tonnes (8000 Kgs) stands 7 feet high (2.2m) and 10 feet (30.5 m) in length can be found on the beach at Cramond.
Cramond Island is accessible by a causeway dependent on tides, have a walk to the island and see the deserted buildings.
An Ivy covered Farm house which once was occupied as early as the 1700s and possibly there would have been a Roman lookout
tower when Cramond was a Roman strong hold in 200 A.D.
The River Almond Estuary at Cramond Village Edinburgh
There is a walkway at the side of the River Almond access can be gained from the estuary at Cramond. The Almond river is 28 Miles long and winds its way through West Lothian from its source in the Cant Hills near Shotts in Lanarkshire. If you are interested in fishing the Almond it is a great place to start. There is an angling club at Cramond that started in 1963. The fish that occupy the Almond are salmon and sea trout. Contact the club and catch the big one firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE ROYAL BURGESS GOLFING SOCIETY (THE BURGHERS) 1735
The Royal Burgess Golfing Society near Cramond the Oldest Golf Club in the world. There were six golf clubs that played their golf at Bruntsfield Links of which The Burghers were one, they were the first to be instituted in 1735 the club house the Old Golf Tavern was used by all clubs. circa 1780 the society became known as the Edinburgh Burgess Golfing Society and by Royal Edict dated 30 September 1929 His Majesty King George V commanded that the name be changed to The Royal Burgess Golfing Society of Edinburgh. The Club moved to its present home at Barnton in 1895 designed by a Musselburgh Golfer Willie Park Jnr who won the open Championship in 1887 and 1889. His family were golfers, his father Willie Park Snr won the first Open in 1860 and also in 1863, 1866 and 1875 and his uncle Mungo Park won in 1874