EDINBURGH OLD TOWN ATTRACTIONS
GEORGE IV BRIDGE AND SURROUNDING AREA
George IV Bridge, Greyfriars Place, Forrest Road, Chamber Street, and Guthrie Street.
The George IV Bridge was completed around 1830 to join the old town to the up and coming Southside of Edinburgh. The Bridge was named after King George the IV.
George IV Bridge Edinburgh
George IV Bridge Edinburgh
I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.
Melbourne Place was demolished in 1966 to enable the council to build an office block for their own use. The halls were first opened in 1852 however the The Royal Medical Society was founded in 1737 and gained the royal charter in 1778.
HIGHLAND AND AGRICULTURAL MUSEUM
No 3 GEORGE IV BRIDGE 1840.
The statue above the door shows in the centre Caledonia and to the left and right are the ploughboy and Highland reaper with his scythe. The scene below Caledonia is of a shepherd with a sheep at his feet a cow and horse standing on either side and a dog sitting.
The inscription below:
SEMPER ARMIS NUNC ET INDUSTRIA
EVER ARMS AND NOW INDUSTRY.
The museum is no longer here it is now at
The Royal Highland Show Ground Ingliston.
CENTRAL LIBRARY GEORGE IV BRIDGE EDINBURGH
Central Library was opened in 1890 and was the first public library building in Edinburgh. The Central Library
was funded by Andrew Carnegie. However the first recording of a library in Edinburgh was in 1696 in High School Yardswith 120 books and a further donation of 200 books by T Kincaid in 1709.
Edinburgh Central Library
National Library of Scotland George IV Bridge Edinburgh
National Library of Scotland
The National Library of Scotland building was completed in 1956.
The Library was given the legal right under the 1710 Copyright Act to claim a copy of every book published in Britain. Due to the volume of books and manuscripts a second building opened in Causewayside in 1995.
The National Library of Scotland is one of the largest of Europe's research libraries with almost 20 million printed items in the collection. If you wish to find out about almost anything you will find it in there.
J K ROWLING OBE ELEPHANT HOUSE GEORGE IV BRIDGE EDINBURGH
J K Rowling is most famous as the creator of the Harry Potter stories. She wrote the first part of Harry Potter in the Elephant House Café on George IV Bridge, Edinburgh. George Heriot’s School in Lauriston Place is said to be the famous Hogwarts College of Magic portrayed in the Harry Potter movies and the platform in the Waverley Station is where the Train left for Hogwarts.
The inscription on the plaque reads;
Made famous as the place of inspiration
to writers such as J.K. Rowling who sat
writing much of her early novels in the
back room overlooking Edinburgh Castle.
Ian Rankin author of Rebus novels
and Alexander McCall- Smith have both also
frequented The Elephant House as well
as many other writers.
GREYFRIARS BOBBY GEORGE IV BRIDGE EDINBURGH
GREYFRIAR’S BOBBY was a Skye terrier who became known in
19th-century Edinburgh after spending 14 years guarding the grave
of his owner, John Gray. Bobby himself died in 1872.
A year later a statue was erected at the top of Candlemaker Row across from the Greyfriars Kirkyard. There is also a red granite headstone in Greyfriars kirkyard near the gate. Have a stroll around the Kirkyard and see many famous and powerful people of old Edinburgh.
DIED 14th January 1872
age 16 years
LET HIS LOYALTY & DEVOTION
BE A LESSON TO US ALL
EDINBURGH BEDLUM THEATRE
GEORGE IV BRIDGE EDINBURGH
The Bedlum Theatre is named after the previous building on the site which was knocked down in 1845 a year after the patients of the asylum were transfered to the new Edinburgh Lunatic Asylum in Morningside.
The Edinburgh Lunatic Asylum was founded by Doctor Andrew Duncan in 1809 and opened in 1813 after the lose of Robert Fergusson who was known to have suffered from depression. However, after a serious head injury caused by a fall led to the Famous poet being diagnosed mentally unsound, the 24 year old died of his head injury. In 1847 a new church was built where the prvious mentel institue stood which is still present today. The Church Building was taken over by the University of Edinburgh in the 1970s and later the Theatre Company which is the oldest student run theatre company in Scotland now occupy the building.
SIR WALTER SCOTT BIRTHPLACE
The plaque can be seen on the wall at the corner of Guthrie Street and Chamber Street is to signify the location of the house where Sir Walter Scott was born in August 1771.
THE FLODDEN WALL PLAQUE
The Plaque on the wall of Forrest Road is to signify where the original wall stood and crossed the road to the Bristo Gate which is no longer standing.
WILLIAM CHAMBERS STATUE CHAMBER STREET EDINBURGH
The statue of William Chambers stands at the National Museum of Scotland in Chamber Street. William Chambers was the Lord Provost of Edinburgh from 1865 to 1869. Look at the panels on the base of the statue. He was a bookseller, printer and publisher. He was also responsible for the restoration of St Giles Cathedral.Chamber Street was named after him in 1867. The picture below shows the statue of Willam Chambers. Enter the Museum from the new extention and you will come across Sir Jackie Stewart's Formula One Car.
The central hall in the National Musum of Scotland
CHAMBER STREET EDINBURGH
William Playfair Born Benvie Dundee 1790 - 1857
The Statue of William Playfair Stands outside the National Museum of Scotland in Chamber Street close to the Playfair Library in the University of Edinburgh Building. William Playfair was a renowned architect and a leader of architectural methods.
THE NATIONAL MUSEUM OF SCOTLAND CHAMBER STREET EDINBURGH
The National Museum of Scotland houses outstanding international collections from Science and Industry,
The Natural World, Decorative Arts plus the History of Scotland from its geological beginnings to the 21st century
and many other wonderful and interesting exhibits. The museum was modernised after a 2 year closure and was
re-opened in July 2011. There are two parts to the building, the former Museum of Scotland and the modern
extension of the building opened in 1998. The former Royal Museum opened in 1866.
There are many things for adults and children to do and see on a cold wet summer day, such as becoming an astronaut.
The museum is on 7 floors and has lifts and stairways connecting each area. There is also a café and restaurant.
Entry is free.