HAYMARKET EDINBURGH HISTORY GUIDE ATTRACTIONS,ACTIVITIES AND PLACE TO STAY
HAYMARKET the main Junction on the way out of Edinburgh to the west and Edinburgh International Airport. Under a mile from Princes Street and Edinburgh Castle.
Haymarket Railway Station
Haymarket Rail Station opened in 1842 as the main station to join Edinburgh and Glasgow. The rail line was then extended to join Canal Street Station now Waverley Station in 1846. The line went under ground before emerging at the side of the Edinburgh Castle Rock and what is now Princes Street Gardens
ST MARY’S EPISCOPAL CATHEDRAL PALMERSTON PLACE EDINBURGH
The actual name is The Cathedral Church of St Mary in Edinburgh. St Mary’s is Scotland’s Largest Cathedral and has been since 1879. St Mary’s is easily spotted on Edinburgh’s skyline due to being the only church with three spires. The Cathedral is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin. The highest tower is 90 meters in height and the other 2 are both 60 meters high. The Cathedral is open every day to all who wish to visit. If you continue past St Mary’s Cathedral down the hill you will come to the Belford Bridge and an entrance to the water of Leith walkway, over the bridge and round the corner are the Modern Art Galleries One and Two
OLD COATES HOUSE – ST MARY'S EPISCOPAL CATHEDRAL PALMERSTON PLACE
Old Coates House was built between circa 1613 by John Byres and was restored in 1830 by Sir Patrick Walker. When Mary Walker died in 1870 she gifted the property to the Scottish Episcopal Church of Scotland which enabled a Cathedral to be built. In 1874 the foundation stone for the New St Mary’s Cathedral was laid by the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry, and the Cathedral was consecrated on 30th October 1879. The Chapter House and western spires were added in 1890.The Old Coates House was the home of the Cathedral Choir School, which became St Mary’s Music School in 1971. The Music School moved in 1995.
ROBERT DUNDAS 2ND VISCOUNT MELVILLE 1771 -1851
The Statue of Robert Viscount Melville was erected in 1857 in Melville Crescent Edinburgh.
Robert Dundas 2nd Viscount Melville, son of Henry Dundas
(1st Viscount Melville), was born in Edinburgh and educated at Gottingen University Germany and the University of Edinburgh. He was a Member of Parliament, 1st Lord of the Admiralty, and Governor of the Bank of Scotland as his father before him. Robert Dundas was awarded the Knight of the Thistle in 1821. His home was Melville Castle where he died in 1851. Pictured is the Dundas family crest above outside the door of Melville Castle below.
Gladstone's Memorial stands in Coates Crescent of Shandwick Place at the west end of Princes Street at the tram stop. The memorial shows William Gladstone surrounded by women. The monument was constructed in 1917 and originally stood in St Andrew Square and was moved to Coates Crescent Gardens in 1955. Gladstone was a very important public figure in Britain. Born in 1809 Gladstone served as Prime Minister for four terms, being appointed to the post on 1868, 1880, 1886, and 1892. Gladstone founded a church foundation to help women prostitutes. He was affectionately known as the 'Grand Old Man' by his many supporters and as 'God's Only Mistake' by his enemies, especially Benjamin Disraeli, the then leader of the Conservative Party.
HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN MEMORIAL CLOCK
The clock is in honoured memory of the players and members of the Heart of Midlothian football Club who lost their lives in the world wars and it was first unveiled in 1922 to commemorate the men that fell in the first world war.
On the front panel of the memorial;
THE HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN
TO THE MEMORY OF
THEIR PLAYERS AND MEMBERS
WHO FELL IN THE
1914 - 1919
On the back panel of the memorial;
IN HONOURED MEMORY OF
THE PLAYERS AND MEMBERS
HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN
WHO LOST THEIR LIVES
IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR
DONALDSON’S HOSPITAL (SCHOOL)
Donaldson's School was designed by
William Playfair for James Donaldson, a wealth bookseller and printer that lived in Edinburgh in 1830. James Donaldson on his death left his fortune to build and maintain a building for the deaf and dumb of Edinburgh. The students in the school were both hearing and non hearing and this lead to the hearing students learning sign language and these students went on to teach sign language around the world. The School moved from Edinburgh to its present location in Linlithgow in 2007.
Sir Walter Scott
Sir Walter Scott's Last Main residence in Edinburgh
was number 6 Shandwick Place the main house is by way of No.8 where he lived from 1828 -1830 prior to his moved to Abbotsford House in The Scottish Borders
Trivia : The present lease holder is a Mr Scott.