Granton - Silverknowes
Granton Harbour was built by the Duke of Buccleuch and partly opened for the coronation in 1838 and completed in 1844. The jetty was named after the Queen the Victoria Jeety. Granton was where many ships were built the first being launched in 1853.
A passenger ferry service was initiated by the duke between Granton and Burntisland circa 1845 and the worlds first rail ferry started in 1849 where a passenger took the train from Canal Street Station(later to be renamed Waverley) to Dundee without getting of the train. Granton harbour saw all kings of ships and now is returning to sailing with mooring for over 120 boats.
Caroline House was built in 1685 for Sir George Mackenzie,
In 1683 Mackenzie bought the Barony of Royston which once boasted a castle, and quickly built what was originally known as Royston House Lord Royston sold the house in 1739 the 2nd Duke of Argyll who renamed it Caroline Park after his daughter Caroline. The house then became the residence of the Duke of Buccleuch in 1793 and remained in their ownership until 1872.
The house was built by the Earl of Hopetoun in 1807 on the Duke of Buccleuch’s estate which was next to
Caroline House. In 1954 the house was all but ruined by fire.
Muirhouse was built in 1832 by Captain William Davidson on the site of the first House which was built circa 1670. Which was demolished a year prior to the new house being complete
The furniture and paintings of old Muirhouse were moved into the new house and all that remained of the old house were two ivy clad turrets at each end.
depot for the Northern Lighthouse Board (NLB). The Board was responsible for maintaining all the lighthouses in Scotland. Supplies for the lighthouses were stored at the depot, and taken by boat to the various lighthouses by vessels which the Board owned. The lantern on top of the building, similar to a real lighthouse, was used for training and to test lights before they were put into in service.