Royal Mile Edinburgh
Johnston Terrace Edinburgh was part of the new developing Edinburgh which linked Old Edinburgh with the new developing area of Tollcross. At the west end of Johnston Terrace is the King’s Bridge which spans King’s Stable Road. Other attractions in Johnston Terrace include the back of the Whisky Experience which was Castlehill School. The southern elevation of the Hub and Granny Green Steps which are in line with the old city wall (Flodden Wall, 1513) and the
(King’s Wall, 1450) where you can see the carving on the building, seen below.
Castle Wynd North Royal Mile Castlehill Edinburgh is a set of steps with housing on the east side that begins at Castlehill next to the Edinburgh Castle Esplanade and ends in Johnston Terrace Edinburgh. The House at the top of Castle Wynd North is Cannonball House which has survived through 3 sieges of Edinburgh Castle in 1650 by Cromwell, in 1689 by William of Orange and by the rebel Jacobite Army in 1745, when General Preston shot Cannon from the Half-moon battery at the rebels a cannonball lodge in the wall and remains there to this day.
At the foot of the steps of Castle Wynd North directly across the road (Johnston Terrace) is Castle Wynd South, Patrick Geddes Steps and path, which ends at the Grassmarket a pedestrian precinct with bars, restaurants and shops.
Near the top of Castle Wynd South is the Entrance to a hidden Garden and wildlife reserve, where the first Gaelic Chapel once stood, now just ruins.
There is also a plaque which can be found on the wall on the south side of Johnston Terrace Edinburgh which is inscribed;
EAGLAIS GHAIDHEALACH DHUN – EIDEANN
Site of the first GAELIC CHAPEL 1769.
Old Edinburgh City Wall
The Flodden Wall was joined to the walls of Edinburgh Castle at David's Tower now where the Half-moon Battery stands and continued down to the house at top of Granny Green Steps on Johnston Terrace.
The stone tablet with inscription on the wall of the house reads; Erected on a site near the extremity of the ancient town wall built in the reign of James II King of Scots A.D. 1450 for the protection of Edinburgh against invasion. This was replaced by a more secure defensive wall in 1513 the Flodden Wall. The route of which continued down Granny Green steps to the Grassmarket.
Johnston Terrace Edinburgh
The King's Bridge was built in 1833 as the approach to the new western area of Edinburgh