MORNINGSIDE, HERMITAGE OF THE BRAIDS, BLACKFORD HILLS & CRAIGMILLAR CASTLE AREAS
MOST SUCCESSFUL BRITISH GOLFER THOMAS DICKSON ARMOUR
THOMAS (Tommy) ARMOUR 1896 – 1968 Scotland’s most successful golfer was born at 18 Balcarres Street in Morningside and first played golf at the Braid Hills and Bruntsfield Links. Free golf is still available at Bruntsfield Links, where royalty played in the 1400s. Bruntsfield Links was the course where many golf clubs started. The Burghers or now known as The Royal Burgess, the oldest golf club in the world and The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers (Muirfield) where the original 13 rules of golf were first written. At first there were only 5 rules.
The Morningside area was once rolling fields and forrest
where the king would go hunting.
Thomas Armour after the First World War moved to the U.S. and as a professional golfer won over 20 professional championships which included The US Open, The PGA Championship, The British Open and was three times Canadian Open champion. Western Golf Club founded in 1899 and based at the Braid Hills golf course which opened in 1889 was where Tommy Armour first joined a golf club in 1912 and his first competition win was in 1913 on the Braids golf course.
THE HANGING OF THOMAS KELLY AND HENRY O’NEIL EDINBURGH
Edinburgh‘s passion for executing the guilty can be seen in the many places around the Edinburgh streets where executions took place, e.g. The Grassmarket, High Street, Castlehill and Canongate to name a few. The main three punishments were burning at the stake, hanging and the guillotine, always with large audiences in attendance.
In some instances gallows were erected on the site of the incident as in the case of the Highwaymen Thomas Kelly and Henry O’Neil two Irish immigrants who robbed a traveller David Loch on his way to Edinburgh and were sentenced to death by hanging (January 1815). Thomas Kelly and Henry O’Neil were taken to the place of execution where temporary Gibbets had been erected on the site of the robbery and they hung side by side for their crime. The site can be seen in Braid Road Edinburgh 200 metres from the corner at Morningside Station where the two Squares marked in the road and a plaque on the pavement outside 66 Braid Road Edinburgh donate where the gallows stood.
THE BUCK STANE
The Buck Stane stands at just over 1.00m high by 0.38m at its widest and is 0.28m thick. It stands against a garden wall in a small alcove near the south end of Braid Road. The stone has an information plaque which can be seen on the wall.
Tradition associates the Buck Stane with the Barony of Penicuik and the royal hunts on the Borough-Muir. The plaque also says that the stone marks the spot where the buckhounds were let loose when the King of Scotland hunted in the region.
(The wording on the plaque)
This march stone a relic of feudal times
occupied a commanding site
on the old roman road about 250
yards north from this spot
by tradition the name was
derived from the stone having
marked the place where the buckhounds
were unleashed when the king of
Scotland hunted in this region.
QUEEN VICTORIA DIAMOND JUBILEE WALL TABLET
The wall tablet is to commemorate Queen Victoria’s 60 years on the
throne in 1897. Look up on the wall just above the shops, up from the Taxi rank in Morningside Road, the plaque is just above a street light.
JESUS CHRIST OF THE LATTER - DAY SAINTS
Arthur’s Seat is where the apostle Orsan Pratt of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when in Edinburgh would climbed to the top of the hill and look down on the city and pray for converts to his church. Orsan Pratt was one of the leaders of his church and travelled the world recruiting converts and it was in 1840 he recruited in Edinburgh.
THE BORE STONE
The only folklore associated with this site relates to James IV before the battle of Flodden in 1513 when it is alleged that the Royal Standard was pitched in or on the stone when it lay on the Borough Muir nearby.
The Bore Stone stands on a pedestal built into the boundary wall of Morningside Parish Church Edinburgh. The surface of the stone displays numerous cup-like markings, none of which are believed to be anything other than natural. After the battle the city wall was built to protect Edinburgh from the English Army.
THE BORE STONE
In which the royal standard was last
pitched for the muster of the Scottish
army on the Borough-Muir before the
Battle of Flodden
It long lay in the adjoining field, was then
built into the wall near this spot, and finally
placed here by Sir John Stuart Forbes
of Pitsligo Bart.
Highest and midmost was described
The Royal Banner floating wide.
The staff, a pine tree strong and straight
Pitch’d deeply in a massive stone.
Which still in memory is shown.
Yet bent beneath the standard’s weight.
The Royal Edinburgh Hospital was a plan of Dr Andrew Duncan who attended to the poet Robert Fergusson until his death in Bedlam, the Edinburgh Asylum at Bristo Place Edinburgh. He was so taken by the nature of Fergusson’s illness he petitioned parliament for funds to open a hospital to look after the mentally ill.
Funds were received in 1806, and Andrew Duncan purchased a house and land in Morningside The building of The Edinburgh Lunatic Asylum was started in 1809 under Royal Charter and opened in 1813. Originally for fee paying patients only but later in 1842 the poor were admitted for no charge. When the Bedlam Asylum closed in 1844 the patients were transferred to Morningside. The Edinburgh Lunatic Asylum was renamed The Royal Edinburgh Hospital in 1922. A Clinic opened in 1965 named after Andrew Duncan.
ANDREW DUNCAN born St Andrew’s 1744 Died Edinburgh 1828 and is buried in the
Apse Church in Chapel Street Edinburgh. One of the world’s forgotten greats he was first
to lecture in forensic medicine in Britain and published many journals on medicine.
Phillipe Pinel 1745-1826, French physician. And known as "the father of modern psychiatry".
William Tuke 1732-1822, A Quaker in 1796 opened the York Retreat sanctuary for Quakers with mental illness.
THE MEMORIAL IS TO HONOUR THE FEW IN THERE PURSUIT OF HELPING THE MENTALLY ILL ON THE CENTENARY OF THE DEATH OF
PHILLIPE PINEL UNVEILED 1931.
Dorothea Dix 1802-1887, Dorothea Lynde Dix was born America in 1802 and fought for the rights of the insane that had been incarcerated in prisons rather than being treated in hospitals(asylums)for their mental health problems she help open over 30 hospitals for the mentally ill.
Robert Gardiner Hill 1811-1878, Surgeon in mental Health who had restraints and the locking up of patients abolished.
Florence Nightingale 1820-1910, nurse.
Florence Nightingale was born in 1820, in Florence, Italy and died at home in London in 1920 she is known as the founder of nursing.
Campbell Clark 1852-1901
THE CAIY STANE
The Caiy Stane is located at the side of the walkway on the west side of Caiystane View, a short distance from the junction of Oxgangs Road, Edinburgh. The stone is red sandstone and stands 9 feet 3 inches high (2.75m) with a breadth of 5 foot 9 inches (1.60m). A row of six cup marks can be seen on the back of the prehistoric stone. The stone may have been erected before 3000 BC, as early as the Neolithic period, probably to denote a ritual or burial place. Records of cairns, cists and urns found in the immediate vicinity show that the hilltop continued to be used for burial in the Bronze Age. Discovery of these remains led to the supposition that Caiyside Hill was the site of a battle, suggested to have involved invading Romans, Danes (Vikings) or Cromwellians. The Caiy Stane (Kel Stane), Cat Stane or Camus Stane, was thought to have been a battle memorial stone.
CRAIGLOCKHART CASTLE (TOWER)
All that remains of the Tower a ruin of a 4 floored tower with walls 5 foot thick. It is unknown who built it but the first land owners were the Lockhart’s of Lea in the
12th century. However it is thought that the Kincaid family lived there during the reign of James the VI in the late 1500s. The Lochart’s or Kincaid’s who knows.
HERMITAGE HOUSE BRAID HILLS EDINBURGH
Old Hermitage House is where the Headquarter of the City of Edinburgh Countryside Natural Heritage Service has a Visitor Centre. The first recorded owner of the area was the son of a Belgian knight called De Brad, in the 12th Century. The forest and hills were a popular place for hunting deer and Boar. The Braid Burn runs through the area. In 1937, the Hermitage was given to the people of Edinburgh city as a public park by the owner.
ENTRANCE TO BLACKFORD HILL NATURE RESERVE AND BLACKFORD POND
The Blackford Hill is a nature reserve and can provide the whole family with many interesting things to do. There is a children’s play area and a pond that has many different birds (swans, geese and ducks and many more). Explore the hill and visit the Royal Observatory and see the stars in the sky. Follow the Braid Burn for some 2 miles or climb to the top (540 feet) for a great view of the city and coast. The main entrance is on Charterhall Road, you can also gain access from Observatory Road or Braid Road. Follow the Braid Burn
through to the Hermitage at Morningside where it is a short walk to the Braid Hills, where the Braid Golf Course is situated. The Braid golf course is where the professional golfer Thomas Armour played as a boy before immigrating to America.
THE ROYAL OBSERVATORY BLACKFORD HILL
The first Observatory in Edinburgh was founded in 1776 on Calton Hill by Thomas Short and was demolished in 1850 and moved to Castle Hill, the building where the Camera Obscura is now.
The Gothic Tower was used for several years as the site of a new observatory before the City Observatory was built in 1818. In 1822 it became the Royal Observatory and moved to Blackford Hill in 1896 where it still stands. It has been a world leader in astronomy from then to this day.
HILLEND ARTIFICIAL SKI SLOP PENTLAND HILLS
Hillend has had an artificial ski slop open to the public since the 1960s and is the largest dry slop in Europe. There are activities for all ages Skiing, Snowboarding and Tubing with floodlights on all slops for evening use and a chairlift and towlines to get you to the top. You can hire equipment and visit the lodge or take the lift to the top for a fantastic view. A great day out for the whole family especially on hot days. Which are few and far between in our wonderful Scottish climate.
Liberton Tower is a 15th century castle with a grand furnished period interior over three floors and also an outside walkway. Built in the 1480s and abandoned in 1610 when the owners moved to a more luxurious house. The Coat of Arms of the first owners can be seen on a carved panel on the south wall.
GILMERTON COVE (CAVES)
The mystery of the Gilmerton Cove a secret hideout for the Knights Templar or an illegal drinking den. It is believed the caves were dug in early 1700s by a local blacksmith as a house.
Go down the caves and decide for yourself. They can be found at 16 Drum Street Gilmerton once a village outside Edinburgh.
Pictured is the Dundas family crest which can be seen above the main entrance to Melville Castle
Melville Castle named after the first owner Galfrid De Melville Circa 1150. Melville Castle was also said to have been for a time owned by David Rizzio and Mary Queen of Scots often visited. Other Royals that have visited the castle are George IV in 1828 and in 1842 Queen Victoria visited Melville Castle when she was on her tour of Scotland.
It is said that a ghost has been seen on many occasions and it is thought to be Queen Mary looking for David Rizzio.
Melville Castle can be found at the very east end of Gilmerton Road at Melville Gate on the road to Dalkeith.
THE MOTTO ON THE FAMILY CREST
INSCRIBED ABOVE THE LION'S HEAD (TRANSLATION)
ESSAYEZ (KEEP TRYING)
BELOW THE SHIELD
QUOD POTUI PERFECI
(I HAVE DONE WHAT I COULD
TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY)