South West Edinburgh & Colinton Area
This is a look at the West and South West of Edinburgh
history and attractions.
GORGIE CITY FARM
Gorgie City Farm opened to the public in 1982 and is open 7 days a week with free entry. The farm animals consist of chickens, ducks, turkeys, goats, pigs and sheep. There is also a cow and a pony. There are pet lodge animals of which rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, tortoise and one snake. Come to the only city farm in Edinburgh. Great for children.
HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN FOOTBALL CLUB
The Heart of Midlothian football club was founded in 1874 and played their football in the East Meadows. The East Meadows hosted the first Edinburgh Derby with Hibernian on Christmas day 1875. Main stand opened in 1914 and is still present today.
WILLIAM KINNIMOND BURTON ENGINEER, PHOTOGRAPHER 1856 - 1899
William Kinnimond Burton's family home was Craig House, part of the old
Craighouse campus of Napier University. In 1877 he was invited by the Meiji Government of Japan to become the first Professor of Sanitary Engineering
and lecturer in Rivers, Docks and Harbours at the Imperial University of Tokyo. He designed new water and drainage systems for Tokyo,
(population of one and a half million), and many other towns and cities in
Japan and Taiwan. He also designed Japan’s first skyscraper, ‘Ryounkaku’, in Tokyo. William Kinnimond Burton became an icon of modern Japan. He died
on 5 August, 1899 at the age of 43. An impressive tombstone was built in the Aoyama Cemetery in Tokyo. To this day, people still gather for an annual ceremony to lay flowers on his grave and sing Scottish folk songs.
An accomplished photographer he had a book ABC of Modern Photography published in 1882. Burton helped form the Photographic Society of Japan in 1890.
ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON 1850 – 1894
A statue of Robert Louis Stevenson as a boy sits outside Colinton Parish Church where he attended Sunday worship with his family.
The memorial is to remember the covenanters who died at
the Battle of Ruillion Green. It was at Colinton where the covenanters turned for home, on their way the Royalist Army lead by Sir Thomas Dalziel caught up with them, just outside Penicuik at Ruillion Green and after a short and bloody battle and many deaths, the Government troops took the Covenanters that survived and imprisoned them in Greyfriar’s Covenanters prison where they died,
were executed or deported. A few were lucky and escaped.
CLAN NAPIER CREST
The Clan Napier Crest can be found above the main entrance of The Napier Tower in the Napier University campus in Colinton Road Edinburgh. The clan Coat of Arms are only allowed to be used by the clan chieftain.
THE CLAN CREST IS:
A dexter cubit arm, the hand grasping a Crescent Argent with birds holding the Clan Chiefs coat of arms.
NAPIER FAMILY MOTTO
The meaning of SANSTACHE a French word is (WITHOUT STAIN).
NAPIER TOWER & NAPIER’S BUST COLINTON ROAD EDINBURGH
John Napier was a great inventor and Mathematician lived in the Napier Tower that was built by Alexander Napier
the second Laird of Merchiston around 1454. John Napier the 8th Laird of Merchiston was born here in 1550. John Napier is best known as the discoverer of logarithms (Napier’s bones) in 1614. The bones can be seen in the Scottish National Museum. John Napier also appears to have been the first to intentionally use the frenetic period as a decimal separator in his book Rabdologia published in 1617. Also found in the same book was reference to Napier’s bones, numbered rods which were used to perform multiplication and division of any number, also useful in navigation and astronomy. Napier Technical College was opened in 1964 named after John Napier and in 2009 became Edinburgh Napier University. Napier Tower serves as the seat for Clan Napier and stands on the Napier University campus in Colinton Road Edinburgh. The Bust is now on show in the main reception at Colinton.
John Napier is buried in St Cuthbert’s Graveyard at the west end of Princes Street.