top of page

Cowgate Sehenswürdigkeiten 

Edinburgh 

Cowgate Grassmarket Edinburgh war die Straße, die von Osten nach Edinburgh führte. vorher das südliche Loch vor der Entwässerung circa  1300. Benannt nach dem Tor in der Flodden-Mauer, die Edinburgh umgab. Das Tor war die Art und Weise, wie die Bauern ihr Vieh (Kühe) auf den Markt brachten. Durch das Kuhtor der Stadtmauer (Flodden Wall). Jetzt ist es das Zentrum von Pubs, Restaurants, Clubs und Unterkünften, nur wenige Gehminuten von allen Sehenswürdigkeiten, historischen Stätten, der Royal Mile und dem Edinburgh Castle entfernt. Es gibt noch einige Orte im Cowgate von  Edinburghs Geschichte; Die Magdalenenkapelle, James Connolly  Geburtsort,  St. Patrick's Church, Eine von George Heriot's Schools, Tailors Hall, Die erste Brücke, die das Cowgate (South Bridge) spaziert, die von der Brücke geschaffenen Gewölbe, die einst als Geschäfte genutzt wurden auf dieser Seite berichten. 

south Bridge - East Edinburgh
South Bridge - West Edinburgh

Cowgate Port + St Mary’s Port

St Mary’s Port across the Pleasance from Heriot’s Hospital to a building at the head of Back of Canongate South (now Holyrood Road). Cowgate Port across the Cowgate from Heriot’s Hospital to buildings on North of Cowgate.

Cowgate Port_edited.jpg
St Mary's Port and Cowgate Port.png

Heriot's Hospital (Schule)

Cowgate Edinburgh

Heriot's Hospital (Schule) Cowgate befand sich in einem Gebäude an der Ecke Cowgate und Pleasance in Edinburgh. Es wurde gebaut, nachdem die Mauer und der Hafen von Cowgate für die Entwicklung entfernt wurden und es ist möglich, dass der Stein der Mauer zum Bau des Krankenhauses (Schule) verwendet wurde. Dieses Gebäude steht noch, ursprünglich zwischen 1838 -1840 erbaut, das Zifferblatt hat ein Datum von 1840 und auf der Vorderseite des Gebäudes befindet sich eine Inschrift von George Heriot's | Krankenhaus | Schule | 1838  Dies ist eine von sieben Schulen, die von den Gouverneuren der Schule von Heriot eröffnet wurden, um arme Kinder in der ganzen Stadt zu unterrichten.

St. Patrick's RC

Cowgate Edinburgh

St. Patrick's Edinburgh wurde 1774 erbaut. Es war zuerst presbyterianisch, dann bischöflich und schließlich 1856 als katholische Kirche eröffnet, um der wachsenden irischen Gemeinde in Edinburgh zu dienen. Es wurde berichtet, dass 2600 am ersten Gottesdienst teilnahmen.  1869 Canon Edward Hannan  gründete die Katholische Young Men's Society (CYMS) und gründete eine Fußballmannschaft, um der irischen katholischen Gemeinde von Edinburgh aus zu helfen  Southside mischen sich mit der größeren katholischen Gemeinde Edinburghs.  Nachdem viele verschiedene Namen abgelehnt wurden, wurde entschieden, dass die  Fußballverein sollte nach dem römischen Namen für Hibernian benannt werden  Irland. Seitdem ist der Hibernian Football Club ein Teil der Edinburgher Sportgeschichte.

ST. Patricks R.C. Church Cowgate Edinburgh

Kardinal Beaton Plakette 

Cowgate Edinburgh

David Beaton wurde 1494 geboren und starb 1546. Am 20. Dezember 1539 wurde David Beaton von Papst Paul III. zum Kardinal ernannt. Kardinal Beaton wurde Regent für Mary Queen of Scots und ernannte sich 1543 zum Kanzler von Schottland. Er wurde von den meisten nicht gemocht, war aber bei den Royals sowohl in Frankreich als auch in Großbritannien beliebt. Er hatte viele Geliebte und 20 uneheliche Kinder. Er wurde wegen Betrugs und des groben Werbens, der Invasion Heinrichs VIII. in Schottland, festgenommen.     

Cardinal Beaton's Palace Cowgate Image Edinburgh

Kardinal Beaton Plakette 

Cowgate Edinburgh

David Beaton wurde 1494 geboren und starb 1546. Am 20. Dezember 1539 wurde David Beaton von Papst Paul III. zum Kardinal ernannt. Kardinal Beaton wurde Regent für Mary Queen of Scots und ernannte sich 1543 zum Kanzler von Schottland. Er wurde von den meisten nicht gemocht, war aber bei den Royals sowohl in Frankreich als auch in Großbritannien beliebt. Er hatte viele Geliebte und 20 uneheliche Kinder. Er wurde wegen Betrugs und des groben Werbens, der Invasion Heinrichs VIII. in Schottland, festgenommen.     

statue of Cardinal Beaton scottish national portrait gallery queen street edinburgh
Cardinal Beaton Palace Plaque
Cardinal Beaton Lived here Plaque Cowgate Edinburgh

Erste Druckmaschine

Schwarzer Ritter

Diese Gedenktafel stiftet den Ort, an dem der erste Buchdruck in Schottland stattfand. Die Drucker Walter Chepman und Andrew Myllar druckten 1508 das erste Buch, nachdem sie ein Jahr zuvor von King (James IV.) eine Lizenz erteilt hatten.

Die Drucker standen im Cowgate am Fuße der Blackfriars Street in der Nähe von Kardinal Beatons Haus.

Plaque of where first book in Scotland was Printed Cowgate Edinburgh

Robert Louis Stevenson-Plakette 

Cowgate Edinburgh

"Über die South Bridge zu schauen und das Cowgate unten voller weinender Straßenhändler zu sehen, bedeutet, im Handumdrehen einen Rang der Gesellschaft von der Mutter zu sehen".   Robert Louis Stevenson 1878. Die Plakette befindet sich an der Wand von  das  Rowantree ein Veranstaltungsort im Cowgate, Edinburgh EH1 1NN in der Nähe der South Bridge.  

Robert Louis Stevenson Plaqe Cowgate Edinburgh

South Bridge
Bridges over Cowgate

The South Bridge was constructed circa 1788, due to the ground and valleys the bridge was constructed with 
19 arches. The arch that spans the Cowgate is the only one that is visible.  Underground can be seen vaults that were made due to the bridge. The vaults were occupied by tradesmen, shops and taverns the first underground shopping mall. Due to the conditions of the vaults with lack of light and air, the vaults were soon abandoned.
Cowgate to St Mary’s Street                                Cowgate to George IV Bridge

South Bridge Arch looking West Cowgate
south bridge cowgate_edited.jpg

Underground Vaults

The South Bridge was constructed circa 1788 due to the ground and valleys the bridge was constructed with 19 arches. The arch that spans the Cowgate is the only one that is visible.  Underground can be seen vaults that were made due to the bridge. The vaults were occupied by tradesmen, shops and taverns the first underground shopping mall. This did not last due to the conditions of the vaults with lack of light and air, the vaults were soon abandoned. It is not known when the vaults complex was closed down, with some suggesting as early as c. 1835 and others as late as c. 1875. Written records regarding the vaults during their slum use are virtually non-existent. There are areas within The Caves that are the building remains of what was Adam Square, which was demolished to make way for the erection of the South Bridge. The original terracotta floor tiles, a hearth stone, and what remains of a fireplace, were found in one of the rooms within The Caves whilst it was being excavated. In another room, within The Caves, a well was found. South Bridge started in 1785, when the 19 arches to support it were built. The vaults, chambers and tunnels underneath it were walled in and sectioned off the descending levels. By 1788, when South Bridge was officially opened, approximately 120 vaults, or rooms, were ready.

Undergroung Vaults of South Bridge Edinburgh

Blair Street

Blair Street was formed when the South Bridge was being built in 1768. To give access to the Cowgate from the High Street, at that time Marlin’s Wynd and  Pebble's Wynd were demolished in 1785 with the west side of Niddry Street. Blair Street as Hunter Square was named after Lord Provost Sir James Hunter Blair.

Marlin’s (Merlyoune) Wynd

Marlin’s Wynd is below the level of the present streets as Mary King’s Close is. Marlin’s Wynd was to the west of the Tron Kirk and ran down to the Cowgate. Named after John Merlyoune (Marlin), who was in charge of paving the High Street. He requested in memory of his work that he would be buried underneath the paving stones. He was buried at the head of the Wynd (which was named after him) by paving stones in the shape of a grave. Other writings mention that the High Street was paved in 1532 by two brothers John and Bartoulme Foliot.

Also a John Merlyoune was first to pave Marlin's Wynd 1542.

Blair Street Edinburgh

Free Cowgate Church (Stramash)

Church built in 1859, was built by Edinburgh architect Patrick Wilson.

The panel above the door reads;

 'Erected and endowed from funds bequeathed by William Whyte Edinburgh MDCCCLXI’.

Free Cowgate Church

Guthrie Street | College Wynd
Guthrie Street was built to replace College Wynd and was named after Dr Thomas Guthrie the founder of the first Ragged School in 1841, which can be seen in Ramsay Lane of Castlehill Royal Mile Edinburgh. Guthrie Street is a link between Chambers Street and the Cowgate Edinburgh. There are steps from Chamber Street to Guthrie Street which was previously West College Street before Chamber Street was built.
Walter Scott was born in College Wynd which was demolished and replaced with modern housing. The plaque can be seen on the wall at the corner of Guthrie Street and Chambers Street is to signify the location of the house where Sir Walter Scott was born in August 1771. Walter Scott's Birthplace Stone Guthrie Street Edinburgh

College Wynd Edingurgh from Cowgate
Walter Scott Plaque Guthrie Street
Horse Wynd Steps - Guthrie Street

Old Fishmarket Close   Swift’s Wynd   Carmichael's Close

The Fish market was one of the casualties of the Great 1824 fire as it was destroyed. This close was originally known as Swift's Wynd a narrow street joining the Cowgate to High Street, the name recorded as far back as 1539. Alexander Swift owned a cellar at the head of the close and John Swift, a tenement. It then became Carmichael's Close in 1722 after Mr William Carmichael, advocate that lived there with his family. It was later renamed Fishmarket Close due to the fish market that was once active there. George Heriot known as “Jinglin’ Geordie”, the kings Jeweller and the founder of George Heriot’s Hospital (school), also lived in the close.

This was also a close that housed the first firefighting appliance.

At the foot of the Close on the west side was a property that was provided by the Council for the executioner. This gave the executioner easy access to both the Lawnmarket and Grassmarket place of Execution by hanging or beheading. The house also provided a prison room for the condemned on the night before their demise.

Hangman Executioner's House Stood Here
Cowgate Tailors Hall

Schneidersaal

Cowgate Edinburgh

Die Gründung von Schneidern der Canongate-Aufzeichnungen geht bis ins Jahr 1438 zurück (Nationale Aufzeichnungen von Schottland). Die Eingliederung von Schneidern kaufte 1620 Land in der Cowgate. Dort bauten sie ihren Versammlungssaal, der im nächsten Jahr fertiggestellt wurde. Im Februar 1638 wurde im Schneidersaal ein Entwurf des National Covenant genehmigt. Das Gebäude wurde 1757 um ein Obergeschoss erweitert. Die Gebäude sind heute eine Bar und Unterkunft. Der National Covenant wurde erstmals am 28. Februar 1638 auf dem Greyfriars Kirchhof in Edinburgh unterzeichnet, bevor er das Land bereiste, um Unterschriften zu erhalten.

Tailor's Hall Cowgate

Brücken überspannend

Cowgate Edinburgh   

Die  2 Brücken, die das Cowgate in Edinburgh überspannen, wurden gebaut, um den Zugang zum Süden von Edinburgh zu ermöglichen. Die South Bridge wurde 1788 fertiggestellt und war eine Verlängerung der North Bridge und überquerte die High Street an der Tron Kirk, die lange Zeit das Zentrum für Old Edinburgh war. Die George IV Bridge wurde 1832 fertiggestellt, die  begann vom Lawnmarket und war eine Fortsetzung zur Bank Street und dem Mound.  Viele Häuser und Absperrungen wurden abgerissen, um den Brücken Platz zu machen, um eine einfache Verbindung nach Süd-Edinburgh zu ermöglichen. Die Büros der Merchants Company of  Edinburgh  war dort, wo heute der Bogen der Georg-IV-Brücke steht. Hier wurde die erste Damenschule gegründet  durch ein Geschenk von Mary Erskine im Jahr 1694, bekannt als das Merchant Maiden Hospital.

George IV Bridge Arch Cowgate Edinburgh
George IV Bridge cowgate

James Connolly Birthplace

James Connolly was born in Edinburgh at 107 Cowgate on 5 June 1868. The first time he stood on Irish soil was as a British soldier at the age of fourteen. He was the secretary of the Scottish Socialist Federation in 1892 aged 24.
He also founded the Irish Socialist Republican Party whose aims were to secure the national and economic freedom of the Irish people. He started a weekly newspaper, the Workers’ Republic and the first publication was issued in August of 1898. At the age of 46 in 1914 he became Acting General Secretary of Irish Transport and General Workers Union. He formed an Anti-War Committee and as the leader he Committed the Labour movement to oppose recruitment and conscription to the British Army ‘we serve neither King nor Kaiser, but Ireland’. When the Secret military council of the I.R.B.  Decided on an armed rising in 1916, Connolly took part in the preparations and in 1916 he had become convinced that a nationalist revolution was the only way to free Ireland from what he saw as imperial and capitalist oppression. He was sentenced to death for his part in the uprising and was executed in Kilmainham Jail Dublin 12 May 1916. 

Plaque of where James Connolly was born 1888
James Connolly Memorial Cowgate Edinburgh

Merchants of Edinburgh – Merchant Maidens Hospital
Merchant Company of Edinburgh

The Merchant Company of Edinburgh was established in 1681. The previous name was the Guidry before it became a society. Their first meeting hall was in the Cowgate Edinburgh and they then moved to Hunter Square before moving to its final home of Hanover Street. The Merchant Company was a watch dog for Edinburgh looking after the concerns and needs of the people. Over time the wealthy would leave their estates to be administered by the Merchant Company by way of a trust. This resulted in with well-judged investments the Merchant Company become the largest land owners in Scotland. The Merchant Company in 1694 with a donation from Mary Erskine a widow, which established Mary Erskine School. With other donations and bequests and trusts, further education facilities were opened, George Watson’s College in 1741, George Watson was an accountant, and merchant banker and the first accountant of the Bank of Scotland, James Gillespie’s High School in 1803, James Gillespie was a local Tobacconist in the High Street Edinburgh and Daniel Stewart held an appointment in the Court of Exchequer, Daniel Stewart’s College in 1855 which is now ESMS (Erskine, Stewart, Melville Schools). John Watson’s School in built in 1828 at 75 Belford Road next to the Dean Cemetery. The Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce was established as an off shoot of the Merchant’s Society of Edinburgh in 1786.

Magdalen Chapel Cowgate

The Magdalen Chapel was built by Michael Macquhane and his wife Michael died in 1537 and his wife managed the completion of the chapel in 1542. The Magdalen Chapel was a chapel and Hospital for the poor. The Incorporation of Hammermen took over the running of the building in 1547. On the plaque above the door show their initials MM. JR. and the date of Janet Rynd's death 1553. The Chapel was a place of worship and also the guild Hall for the incorporation of Hammermen. The Hammermen were metal workers and tradesmen who became the trustees of the Chapel and attached building a hospital, which is now a hostel. Inside the Chapel is an amazing stain glass window which features the Royal Arms of Scotland, the Arms of Mary of Guise, Mary Queen of Scots. mother Also still in the Chapel is the Deacon of the Hammermen's Guild of Edinburgh chair which was made in 1708. There are many other artefacts from Scottish history on display in the Chapel please arrange a visit as there is much to see.

Magdalen Chapel Cowgate Edinburgh

Medical Missionary Society | Livingstone House

Edinburgh Medical Missionary Society moved into 39 Cowgate in 1858 which was then owned by the Scottish Reformation Society. The EMMS (Edinburgh Medical Missionary Society and Livingstone Institute) rebuilt in 1877 and operated a dispensary for the local people.  The building occupied  from the corner of Candlemakers' Row to the Magdalen Chapel. Above the entrance on the corner are 13 carved heads. The building housed a dispensary, waiting rooms, lecture theatre, students' bedrooms (the Livingston Residence), a working men's club and 3 shops. 

Medical Missionary Society | Livingstone House

 Grapes 

Livingstone House Cowgate carving Grapes

Frog

Livingstone House Cowgate carving Frog

 Plums

Livingstone House Cowgate carving

Knight’s Templar

Livingstone House Cowgate carving Knights Templar
Medical Missionary Society | doorway heads

       Thistle     

Livingstone House Cowgate carving

 Acorns

Livingstone House Cowgate carving  Acorns

English Rose

Livingstone House Cowgate carving

Devil 

Livingstone House Cowgate carving  Devil

Cowgatehead Free Church

The Gothic church was founded in 1861 with money from William Whyte’s will. William Whyte bookseller to the Queen Dowager Adelaide wife of William IV. The stone panel on the tower above the door reads; 'Erected and endowed from funds bequeathed by William Whyte Edinburgh MDCCCLXI

Cowgate Church.
bottom of page