top of page

Falkirk Attractions Scotland

The Kelpies 

The Kelpies were officially opened by HRH Princess Anne on the 8th July 2015.

A kelpie is a shape-shifting water spirit that take on the shape of a horse which resides in lakes and pools.

The Kelpies are the largest pair of equine sculptures in the world and stand in the Helix Park,

where the new extension to the Forth and Clyde Canal is located.

At a height of 100 feet (30 mtrs) a memorial to the horses of Scotland that worked the land and pulled barges along the canals.

The Kelpies & Helix Park

Kelpies Falkirk Scotland Attractions
kelpie and Helix Park Falkirk Scotland

The Graveyard at Falkirk Trinity Church

Falkirk Trinity Church stands on the original site of the ‘Faw Kirk’, the first church erected in the town of Falkirk.

This where the name of the town derives Falkirk. The graveyard of Falkirk Trinity Church has many memorials from the Battle of Falkirk 1298 (A defeat by the English in a battle of the First War of Scottish Independence). Led by King Edward I of England, the English army defeated by the Scots lead by Bonnie Prince Charlie at the Battle of Falkirk on 17 January 1746 which was prior to the massacre at Culloden in 16th April of the same year.

Sir John De Graeme Grave

The Trinity Graveyard is the resting place of Sir John De Graeme, William Wallace’s close friend, and right-hand man.

Sir John De Graeme was killed in action during the Battle of Falkirk on 22 July 1298. William Wallace is said to have carried his body to its present resting place at the Faw Kirk Graveyard. A replica of the broadsword Sir John De Graeme carried into war has been attached to his tombs wrought-iron enclosure.

Sir John De Graeme

Trinity Church Falkirk 

Sir John De Graeme Memorial Fountain

The Memorial Fountain was built in 1912 on the site where

Sir John De Graeme, William Wallace's loyal knight and close friend died in the battle of Falkirk in 1298.

Falkirk Steeple Heritage Centre

The present Steeple is the third steeple the first was built circa 1590  a new Tolbooth and prison was built in 1663 and demolished in 1803 the present Steeple was completed in 1814 and is over 140 feet high (43 mtrs) High.  
The Heritage centre tells the story of the area circa last 400 years. Also in the heritage centre is the bell that was made in 1697. Take the guided tour of the centre

Rosebank Distillery
On the opening of the Forth & Clyde canal in 1790, the connection between Edinburgh in the east and Glasgow

in the west of Scotland gave a safe route for goods and people from coast to coast.
Many Distilleries were built along the canal banks, Rosebank was one of them in the village of Camelon. 

 

Rosebank Distillery

Rosebank Distillery,

Camelon Rd,

Falkirk

FK1 5SQ

The Rankine Family

The Distillery was founded by James Rankine, a merchant of the town. The Rosebank distillery is the only surviving among all the distilleries opened along the canal. James Rankine purchased the maltings of the old Camelon distillery in 1840, his son then demolished the Camelon site and rebuilt it in 1868 as the now Rosebank Distillery. Rosebank was closed in 1993. 
It continued to produce whisky for the conglomerate owner and the quality was lost to blends now after many years it has been rescued by an independent Ian Macleod Distillers in 2017. The Rosebank Distillery is back distilling great whiskies.

Take a Tour and buy the whisky with the money you would have spent on transport to the highland distilleries,

you will not be disappointed.     

The Falkirk Wheel

The Falkirk Wheel is the only fully rotating boat lift in the world and joins the

Forth and Clyde Canal (Built 1790 is circa 35 miles (57km) long) and The Union Canal (built 1822 is circa 31 miles (51km) long),

replacing the staircase of 11 locks which were dismantled in 1933. The Falkirk Wheel was opened in 2002

by Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II and at a height of 115 Feet (35 mtrs).

The Basin of the Union Canal is at Fountain Quay in Edinburgh ends in Grangemouth where the Falkirk Wheel stands,

and joins the Forth & Clyde Canal which ends at the River Clyde at Bowling in Glasgow.

There is a Cycle Route 754 which is traffic-free from Edinburgh to Glasgow which follows the Canals.

Falkirk Wheel Barge Lift Scotland
Falkirk Wheel where the barges come off at the Forth and Clyde Canal

Rough Castle

Rough Castle was one of 16 known forts along the Antonine Wall,

The wall formed the north-western frontier of the Roman Empire. Rough Castle can be reached on foot (about 15 minutes) from the Falkirk Wheel, a signposted path from the visitor centre will get you there. This is where the tallest surviving section of rampart, Defensive Lilia pits and many ditches and gateways can be seen.

The Battle of Falkirk Muir Monument

The Battle of Falkirk Muir, which was the second Battle of Falkirk on 17 January 1746,

a defeat for the English. This was the last Jacobite success prior to Culloden and their final defeat. The battle site is currently marked by a monument, erected in 1927 situated on the South Muir on the edge of the Bantaskine estate.

Falkirk Tunnel

The Falkirk Tunnel built as part of the Union Canal connecting Edinburgh and Glasgow was completed in 1822. It was constructed as a tunnel rather than over land, as William Forbes owner of Callendar House objected as it would spoil his view from his house. This the longest canal tunnel in Scotland measures in length over 2000 foot (630 metres) and was carved through solid rock. It is now illuminated and with a path to allow people to walk through the tunnel.  

Found behind Falkirk High Station and is accessible

via a well-marked path along the canal.

Falkirk Memorial Cairn

The Battle of Falkirk 1298 Memorial Cairn erected in 2007 to the memory of the men who fought with William Wallace against the English at the battle of Falkirk. The cairn positioned on the battlefield which is now part of Callendar House Park.

Callendar House

Callender House and grounds were in possession of the Callendar family circa 1240  it then changed ownership in 1346 to the Livingstone family, in 1783 William Forbes became owner and the descendant are still owners today.

​The Tower house is the oldest part of what now looks like a French château. Over the centuries it has been extended and modernised. It present look was given to the property circa 1870.

The extensive grounds   and has many things to see including a pond and ice House.

There are many historic things to see in the park dating back to the building of the Antonine Wall in 142 AD. In the house a Library hold the archives of Falkirk and a Georgian Kitchen still in use. Outlander TV series to place here and the grounds hold a golf course and children’s play area

The Antonine Wall

The Antonine Wall was a Roman defensive wall, which was built across central Scotland from Bo’ness on the shores of the Firth of Forth to Old Kilpatrick on the Firth of Clyde. 37 miles long with 16 forts.

Completed 162 AD. The Wall was the north western frontier of the Roman Empire.

There are a number of other areas where the wall is still visible Rough Castle,

Kinneil Estate, Polmont Hill, Seabegs Wood and Watling Lodge.

Forbes Mausoleum

A mausoleum was built after the death of William Forbes the first, which took the form of a circular Doric temple 45ft tall.  Above the door you can see a panel with a Greek inscription:

ӨNHTA TA TΩN ӨNHTΩN KAI ΠANTA IҐAPEPXETAI HMAΣHN ΔE MH AΛΛ HMEIΣ ATTA ΠAPEPXOMEӨA.

The translation:

“Mortals; possessions are mortal, and all things pass us by; if not, at any rate we pass them by”.

The first occupant was William Forbes the First in 1816 one year after his death, then the wife of William Forbes the second, Rose O’Hara in 1866. Later occupants include Colonel Charles Forbes in 1948 and William Dudley Forbes in 1977.

West Quarter Do 'cot

This was the Do 'cot of the Lairds House that was the source of fresh meet for the

house with spaces for hundreds of pairs of pigeons. The estate and its mansion house inherited by Dame Helenore Livingstone.

A panel above the dovecot’s door shows the arms of

Sir William and his wife Dame Helenore Livingstone and the date 1647.

They built a new mansion house nearby, but probably not this dovecot.

Wallacestone Monument

The Wallace Monument commemorates the first Battle of Falkirk, which took place on 22 July 1298 William Wallace resigned as Guardian of Scotland. The position Wallace stood, seeing the English armies approach from Linlithgow.  The memorial Stone erected in 1810, replaced the original stone which also contained a Latin inscription “Here he stood”,

with a panoramic view of the Forth Valley and beyond.

The Avon Aqueduct

The Avon Aqueduct (Linlithgow) is the largest of three major aqueducts along the Union Canal. The others are the Almond (Lin’s Mill) Aqueduct (Ratho) and the Slateford Aqueduct (Longstone) over the Water of Leith. All three Aqueducts are built to the same design. Constructed 1821, 247 metres long and 86 feet (26 metres) high, it is the longest and tallest aqueduct in Scotland.

It is also the second longest in Britain.

 Kinneil (Palace) House
The Lands of Kinneil Estate are said to have been awarded to the first of the Hamilton's

after the Battle of Bannockburn (1314) by Robert the Bruce. 

The original Tower House was built circa 1550. It was later blown up. In the early 17th century it was rebuilt and extended in 1677. The House was left empty from 1822 an has become a ruin. 

Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway Museum

Scotland’s largest railway museum situated in Bo'ness this is a must for the railway and train enthusiasts.

The Railway Museum has many historic locomotives, carriages and wagons, model trains. It also has displays and photographs of the railways in Scotland.

Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway

and Steam Locomotive Trips

Enjoy 70 minutes on the Steam Train over a 10 mile return journey along

the Firth of Forth Estuary from Bo’ness to Manuel, with a 10 minute stop in Manuel.

There is an on-train buffet and afternoon tea is served on most Saturday and Sunday afternoons. The train has been used in films and the Outlander series. There is also Thomas the Tank Engine Train and a Santa Claus train trip.

Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway Platform.JPG

Dunmore Pineapple

The “Dunmore Pineapple” was built in 1761 as a summer house for his wife, which gave views of the walled gardens.

 The Pineapple is circa 46 feet (14 mtrs) in height. The Pineapple was added to the property in 1777 after John Murray, the 4th Earl of Dunmore return from Virginia in summer of 1776 where he served as the last British Governor of the Colony.

It open to the public through the National Trust for Scotland and can be found in Dunmore Park Airth Scotland.

Dunmore Pineapple Falkirk Area Scotland

Bannockburn 

Robert the Bruce Bannockburn

The Rotunda and Flag Pole 

Bannockburn

The rotunda was built to commemorate the 650th anniversary of the battle of Bannockburn in 1964. The flag pole was place where Robert the Bruce raised his standard and a

commemorative pole was first erected here in 1870.

Bannockburn Memorial Roundal

Borestone Location

Bannockburn

Written in the circle the words

Location of the Borestone where by tradition

Robert Bruce raised his standard in 1314.

Bore stone position @ Bannockburn

Battle of Bannockburn Battle Ground

BANNOCKBURN BATTLE SITE

 

KING ROBERT ASSEMBLED HIS ARMY HERE TO GUARD THE

POINT WHERE THE ROMAN ROAD ENTERED THE NEW PARK.

 

CARTHROPES WERE SET IN NUMEROUS PITS ON BOTH

SIDES OF THE ROMAN ROAD ALONG THE BANNOCKBURN.

 

THE ENGLISH CAVALRY ARRIVED AT THE FORD ON SUNDAY

23 JUNE 1314. BRUCE KILLED DE BOHUN NEARBY.

 

THE SCOTS FORCED THE CAVALRY BACK OVER THE BANNOCK BURN MAKING

IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR EDWARD II TO REACH STIRLING CASTLE BY THE NEW PARK

BattleGround @ Bannockburn

Battle of Bannockburn Cairn

BATTLE OF BANNOCKBURN

  FOR GOD AND ST ANDREW

______________________

ROBERT THE BRUCE

KING OF SCOTS

PLANTED HIS STANDARD

NEAR THIS SPOT

WHEN THE

SCOTTISH PATRIOTS

UNDER HIS COMMAND

VANQUISHED THE ARMY OF

EDWARD II OF ENGLAND AT

THE BATTLE OF

BANNOCKBURN

24TH JUNE - 1314

 

"WE FIGHT NOT FOR GLORY NOR FOR

WEALTH, NOR HONOUR BUT ONLY AND ALONE

WE FIGHT FOR FREEDOM WHICH NO

GOOD MAN SURRENDERS BUT WITH HIS LIFE."

Battle of Bannockburn Cairn
bottom of page