BROUGHTON AREA EDINBURGH
TOP OF LEITH, PICARDY, GREENSIDE, BROUGHTON
HISTORIC SITES, STORIES AND ATTRACTIONS
You will find the sites of statues, monuments, Buildings, Plaques and Sculptures.
ST MARY’S CATHEDRAL BROUGHTON STREET EDINBURGH
St Mary’s Edinburgh is the cathedral church of the archdiocese of St Andrew and Edinburgh and the first masses were held in August 1814. The Cathedral is the setting for the solemn mass for the opening of the Edinburgh Festival. In 1982 Pope John Paul II visited the Cathedral and prayed at the shrine of Saint Andrew which can be seen within the church building.
Professor Sir Eduardo Luigi Paolozzi Sculptor
The Foot, The Hand and the Ankle is a sculpture in three-pieces that stand outside St Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral at the top of Leith Walk. Professor Sir Eduardo Luigi Paolozzi sculptor, was born at 6 Crown Place in 1924. His family came from the Monte Cassino area of Italy. He was knighted in 1989 and sadly died in April 2005 at 81 years.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Centre can be found at 25 Palmerston Place where The Edinburgh Association of Spiritualists is based and where you can see mediums at work. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a strong believer in the afterlife. Arthur Conan Doyle’s also lived at 23 George Square Edinburgh (1876 - 1880).
Sir Walter Scott was brought up 2 doors down where his parents had the family home.
SIR ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE. SHERLOCK HOLMES
Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle was born on 22 May 1859, 11 Picardy Place Edinburgh. The statue stands where his house used to stand Conan Doyle was a novelist, short story writer, poet and doctor of medicine. He is most famous for the stories about the detective Sherlock Holmes. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was deeply involved in Spiritualism and the Occult. He declared early on in his life that he believed in life after death and the communication with those who passed away. He died in 1930. His last words were addressed to his wife. He whispered "You are wonderful."
THE TWO GIRAFFES
The Giraffes are made of scrap metal from motorbikes and cars and stand proudly outside the Omni Centre. The giraffe’s official title is “Dreaming Spires” but they have been nicknamed Martha and Gilbert.
ROBERT STEVENSON 1772 -1850
Robert Stevenson was a famous engineer and grandfather to Robert Louis Stevenson the famous writer. He lived at 1 Baxter's Place where the Marriott Group have renovated the houses and made them into a magnificent 4 Star Hotel where a bust of Robert Stevenson now stands.
Robert Stevenson built many of the lighthouses that stand around the shores of Britain.
He also built bridges of which his last was the Regent bridge that joined the east to Princes Street over what was Leith Wynd the only road to the New Town from the east.
THE ICELANDIC NATIONAL ANTHEM was composed and written in 1874 at 15 London Street Edinburgh by Sveinbjorn Sveinbjornsson the composer and Mattias Jochumsson the Poet
A local builder built Gayfield House circa 1763 and sold it to Lord Thomas Erskine in 1765, who died a year later when the property became the residence of David the 6th Earl of Leven In 1873 the house became a veterinary school which moved to become the Veterinary School a part of the University of Liverpool. Gayfield House was sold to William Cockburn merchant in 1904. It has been a laundry a garage for car repairs and in 1990 in became derelict. A builder saved it from demolition and restored the house to its former glory. (18 East London Street Edinburgh)