Corstorphine Edinburgh or Crosstorphyn was once a small village between hills Corstorphine hill and the Pentland Hills a famous site mentioned in Robert Louis Stevenson’s novel Kidnapped, where the two main characters stopped for a rest on the way to Killiecrankie (“The rest and be thankful”).
Robert Louis Stevenson
Robert Louis Stevenson was born in Edinburgh on the 13 November 1850 to a wealthy family of Engineers.
His grandfather Robert built the Regent Bridge in Waterloo Place Edinburgh to connect the main road to London with Princes Street in the new town bypassing the dirty streets of Leith. Robert Louis Stevenson never kept good health and spent his summers in North Berwick at the sea side where his Grandfather had a summer residence.
The statue pictured is of Thomas Balfour and Alan Breck Stewart departing from Corstorphine Hill Edinburgh. They were the characters in the novel Kidnapped, which was about the Jacobite uprising and the true story of the two main characters. Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson to give his full name was an author of many famous books e.g. Treasure Island, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Kidnapped.
Corstorphine Hill is Edinburgh’s largest public park and nature reserve. The hill at 531 feet (161m) is a great place for a day out and ramble, there is a variety of wildlife on Corstorphine Hill including great spotted woodpecker, tawny owl, badger, kestrel, and sparrow hawk.
Corstorphine Hill Tower
At the summit of the Corstorphine Hill is the Clermiston Tower also known as the Scott Tower or the Corstorphine Hill Tower. It is a memorial to Edinburgh’s romantic novelist Sir Walter Scott. The tower was built by William Mackie in 1871 on the centenary of Sir Walter Scott's birth. From the parapet at the top the views of the surrounding area are stunning. This was a place Sir Walter Scott would visit and contemplate his scriptures.
Corstorphine Hill Tower
The inscription on the plaque reads;
SIR WALTER SCOTT 1771 - 1832
ERECTED IN 1871 BY W MACFIE OF CLERMISTON
PRESENTED IN 1932 TO THE CITY
BY W.G. WALKER C.A F.S.A SCOT
The Corstorphine Hill walled garden has been restored by a local volunteer group. They have created a quiet space to sit and relax or read a book.
Edinburgh Zoo is in the west of Edinburgh, on the main route from the airport.
Edinburgh Zoo was opened to the public on 22 July 1913. The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland was founded
in 1909 probably best known throughout the world for their Penguins. The Penguins were first brought to Edinburgh
by the whaling ships that would call in at Leith. The association with these amazing birds began in January 1903.
There are over 180 different animal species in the zoo the most popular are a pair of giant pandas from China.
THE PANDA'S FROM CHINA
Murrayfield Rugby Stadium
Home of Scottish Rugby
(For contact details of rugby clubs and teams click on box above)
The home of Scottish Rugby Union is a 64000 all seated stadium, where Scotland play their home international Rugby
matches. Murrayfield Stadium was first opened in 1925 and was renovated in 1994, when it became all seated.
Other events that have been held here in the past include the 2000 Rugby league challenge cup final, music concerts such as (The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi, Madonna, Oasis) and NFL American football. The War memorial Arch and Clock are prominent features of the Stadium’s history. Opening from 9 am daily for a free walk around where information
boards are present for your help or you can book a guided tour of the stadium.
Murrayfield Ice Rink
Murrayfield Ice Rink opened to the public in 1952. It is the largest Rink in Scotland. Events that have been held at the ice rink include Ice Hockey, Figure Skating, Boxing and Basketball. In 1980 a separate curling rink was opened. In 1958, 1963 and 1993 Murrayfield Ice Rink was the venue for The Harlem Globetrotters basketball exhibitions.
The ice rink is open to the public and ice skates are available for hire. There is also a curling rink next door.
You can also see National League Ice Hockey on a Sunday Evening. (Check with rink for game dates).
The Rugby memorial arch in Murrayfield Stadium in memory of the Rugby players who died in the First World War.
In accordance with the will of George Pape of Coltbridge house these cottages were built
for use of three poor widows in all time coming A.D. 1894
On 16th September 1745 the Coltbridge Canter commenced near here, when the Hanoverian cavalry fled from the Jacobite army the only escape was across a wooden bridge which was replaced in 1766 with the present bridge which is now only for pedestrians.
Water of Leith
The new bridge over the water of leith part of the main access road from west to east and the new town was built in 1841 and was later widened in 1930 due to the motorised transport.