EAST PRINCES STREET GARDENS EDINBURGH,
PRINCES STREET EDINBURGH
Sir Walter Scott Monument, Royal Scottish Academy of Art, National Gallery of Scotland, Spanish Civil War Memorial, Ross Water Fountain, Statues David Livingstone, Lord Provost Adam Black, Professor John Wilson.
PRINCES STREET GARDENS is a public park in the centre of Edinburgh in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle. Princes Street is approximately 2 klms in length with shops on one side and gardens on the other. Before the gardens were formed a Loch (Lake) surrounded the Castle Rock. The Nor Loch stretched from under the North Bridge where the Waverley Station is now situated to the far end of the Castle Rock at Kings Stables Road. The draining of the Nor Loch was required due to the fact that it had been heavily polluted from centuries of sewage draining downhill from the Old Town. The draining of the Nor Loch began in 1759 and The Gardens were created in the 1820s. In the 1840s the railway was built in the valley, and Waverley Station opened in its present form in 1854.
advertise your business here
DAVID LIVINGSTONE STATUE
EAST PRINCES STREET EDINBURGH
(MAR 1813 - MAY 1873)
David Livingstone was an explorer and Scottish missionary.
Deep in Africa, Livingstone lost contact with the outside world for six years. In 1871 Henry Morton Stanley was sent as a publicity stunt by The New York Herald to find him, eventually tracking Livingstone to the shores of Lake Tanganyika and giving rise to the saying for which he is best known. "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?"
Princes Street Edinburgh on the North side is all retail shops restaurants and hotels
ADAM BLACK STATUE
EAST PRINCES STREET EDINBURGH
Adam Black was born in Charles Street Edinburgh in Feb of 1784, the son of a builder and educated at the High School and Edinburgh University.
He was twice Lord Provost of Edinburgh. In 1826 he was the main bookseller in Edinburgh. He published the 7th, 8th and 9th editions
of Encyclopaedia Britannica. He died of old age, 89 almost twice as long a life as most lived in these times.
WALTER SCOTT MONUMENT PRINCES STREET EDINBURGH
A 200-foot-high monument to Scottish Author Sir Walter Scott was erected in Princes Street Gardens in 1832 in his honour and funded mainly by another author, Catherine Sinclair, author of Holiday House. Climb the steps to the top for a wonderful view of Edinburgh city centre. There is a replica of the Monument on the corner of St Colme Street, down from Charlotte Square which was erected in honour of Catherine Sinclair by way of public donation.
PROFESSOR JOHN WILSON
EAST PRINCES STREET GARDENS EDINBURGH
John Wilson born 1785 near Paisley in the west of Scotland.
A Lawyer and writer and was appointed Professor of
Moral Philosophy at Edinburgh University in 1819.
He lived in Ann Street in the new town and Died in
Edinburgh 1854. He is buried in the Dean Cemetery less
than a mile from where he lived. John Wilson made his
name writing for Blackwood's Magazine under the
pseudonym of Christopher North. He had many influential
friends of one was Sir Walter Scott.
EDINBURGH SPANISH CIVIL WAR MEMORIAL COMMEMORATIVE STONE EAST PRINCE STREET GARDENS
The stone is to honour the volunteers from the Lothians and Fife who fought in the Spanish Civil War. The Spanish Civil War was fought from 1936 to 1939.
NATIONAL GALLERY OF SCOTLAND THE MOUND EDINBURGH
National Gallery of Scotland opened in 1859 on the Mound and is now home to Scotland's greatest collection of European paintings and sculpture from the Renaissance to Post-Impressionism. It also includes a comprehensive collection of the major names in Scottish art. Main entrance can be found off the Precinct.
THE MOUND PRECINCT PRINCES STREET EDINBURGH
The Mound Precinct Princes street is a Large open air paved space at the foot of the mound steps which is used for street performers (jugglers, acrobats fire eaters etc.) during the summer. With its location in the centre of Princes Street it is an ideal place to arrange to meet before touring or visiting the galleries that surround the square.
On the right of the picture is the Royal Scottish Academy of Art and at the back, the National Gallery of Scotland.
ROYAL SCOTTISH ACADEMY OF ART
The oldest and most prestigious academy of contemporary art in Scotland. The Academy is active in the promotion of young artists from Scotland's Colleges of Art and Architecture and takes a lead role in promoting living artists in Scotland. Royal Scottish Academy seen to the right of the precinct and to the rear is the National Gallery of Scotland. The main entrance seen on Princes Street on the East side of the Mound.
Model of Edinburgh Old and New Town
The model can be found in Princes Street Precinct at the foot of the mound steps. This was crafted to enable people with impaired vision to enjoy the city.
CHRISTMAS IN EDINBURGH
East Princes Street Gardens hosts a German Market over the Christmas and New Year period and an outdoor ice rink.
The festivities start at the beginning of December and finish in the New Year. At that time the closing times change and Bars and Night Clubs can stay open until 5 am. To give everyone more time to party.