George IV Bridge Area
The George IV Bridge was completed around 1830 to join the old town to the up and coming Southside of Edinburgh.
The Bridge was named after King George the IV. It starts at the Royal Mile Lawnmarket and continues to Bristo Place and Forrest Road. Also Chamber Street where the National Museum of Scotland is and on the Bridge stands the National Library of Scotland.
George IV Bridge Edinburgh
George IV Bridge was built to give access to Edinburgh’s southside and spans the gap that joins the Lawnmarket on the Royal Mile with Chamber Street in the south. The foundation stone was laid in August 1827 and the bridge finally opened to all in 1836. There are only two points visible showing the height of George IV Bridge over the Cowgate and at Merchant Street. The Bridge was named after King George the IV after his visit to Edinburgh in 1822. The visible bridge over Merchant Street and a view of Greyfriars Graveyard view down Cowgate towards Holyrood Palace and Arthur Seat
George IV Bridge Edinburgh
Melbourne Place was demolished in 1966 to enable the council to build an office block for their own use. The halls were first opened in 1852 however the the Royal Medical Society was founded in 1737 and gained the royal charter in 1778. This Plaque marks the site of the Hall of the Royal Medical Society from 1852 - 1965 where many Edinburgh medical men delivered their first dissertation. It was demolished by the city council to enable them to build an office block which has been changed into a hotel.
HIGHLAND AND AGRICULTURAL MUSEUM
No 3 GEORGE IV BRIDGE 1840.
The statue above the door shows in the centre Caledonia and to the left and right are the ploughboy and Highland reaper with his scythe. The scene below Caledonia is of a shepherd with a sheep at his feet a cow and horse standing on either side and a dog sitting.
The inscription below:
SEMPER ARMIS NUNC ET INDUSTRIA
EVER ARMS AND NOW INDUSTRY.
The museum is no longer here it is now at
The Royal Highland Show Ground Ingliston.
Central Library George IV Bridge Edinburgh
Central Library was opened in 1890 and was the first public library building in Edinburgh. The Central Library
was funded by Andrew Carnegie. However the first recording of a library in Edinburgh was in 1696 in High School Yardswith 120 books and a further donation of 200 books by T Kincaid in 1709.
National Library of Scotland George IV Bridge Edinburgh
The National Library of Scotland building was completed in 1956. The Library was given the legal right under the 1710 Copyright Act to claim a copy of every book published in Britain. Due to the volume of books and manuscripts a second building opened in Causewayside in 1995. The National Library of Scotland is one of the largest of Europe's research libraries with almost 20 million printed items in the collection. If you wish to find out about almost anything you will find it in there.
The Elephant House (Harry Potter)
J K Rowling is most famous as the creator of the Harry Potter stories. She wrote the first part of Harry Potter in the Elephant House Café on George IV Bridge, Edinburgh. George Heriot’s School in Lauriston Place is said to be the famous Hogwarts College of Magic portrayed in the Harry Potter movies and the platform in the Waverley Station is where the Train left for Hogwarts.
The inscription on the plaque reads;
Made famous as the place of inspiration to writers such as J.K. Rowling who sat writing much of her early novels in the back room overlooking Edinburgh Castle. Ian Rankin author of Rebus novels and Alexander McCall- Smith have both also frequented The Elephant House as well as many other writers.
DIED 14th January 1872
age 16 years
LET HIS LOYALTY & DEVOTION
BE A LESSON TO US ALL
More on Greyfriars Bobby can be seen on Candlemaker's Row
Edinburgh Bedlam Theatre George IV Bridge Edinburgh
The Bedlam Theatre is named after the previous building on the site which was knocked down in 1845 a year after the patients of the asylum were transferred to the new Edinburgh Lunatic Asylum in Morningside. The Edinburgh Lunatic Asylum was founded by Doctor Andrew Duncan in 1809 and opened in 1813 after the lose of Robert Fergusson who was known to have suffered from depression. However, after a serious head injury caused by a fall led to the Famous poet being diagnosed mentally unsound, the 24 year old died of his head injury. In 1847 a new church was built where the previous mental institute stood which is still present today. The Church Building was taken over by the University of Edinburgh in the 1970s and later the Theatre Company which is the oldest student run theatre company in Scotland now occupy the building.