George Street

Hanover Street & Frederick Street

Edinburgh

Edinburgh George Street built as the main Street of the Edinburgh New Town and named after King George III

runs parallel with Princes Street to the south and Queen Street to the north.

George Street has become the main Street for Edinburgh's nightlife, dinning drinking and shopping with Statues, historic Buildings, Churches, Monuments and a Square and gardens at each end. Crossing over George Street from north to south are Hanover Street, Frederick Street and Castle Street.

THOMAS CHALMERS

GEORGE STREET EDINBURGH

Thomas Chalmers 17 March 1780 – 31 May 1847

Thomas Chalmers was a Scottish minister, professor of theology, political economist, and a leader of the Free Church of Scotland. He has been called, "Scotland's greatest nineteenth-century churchman". He was highly regarded during his lifetime as a natural theologian. Thomas Chalmers died in his house in Morningside Edinburgh.

Thomas Chalmers was interred in the Grange Cemetery.

Statue of Thomas Chalmers in George Street Edinburgh

GRAND LODGE OF SCOTLAND

GEORGE STREET EDINBURGH

Freemasons Hall situated at 96 George Street is the worldwide Head Office of the Grand Lodge of Scotland.

Freemasonry began in Scotland and is the oldest secular fraternal society in the world.

It was recorded in Scotland before 1598. Foundation Stone 1858.

Freemason's Hall George Street Edinburgh
allaboutedinburgh sign Freemason's Hall George Street Edinburgh

WILLIAM PITT THE YOUNGER

GEORGE STREET EDINBURGH

William Pitt (28 May 1759 – 23 January 1806) was a Tory politician and is the youngest Prime Minister that has served in Great Britain at the age 24. William Pitt the younger’s father, William Pitt the Elder, also served as Prime Minister of Great Britain in 1766. William Pitt used the younger to differentiate between himself

and his father. William Pitt was prime minister at the time of the war with France and he was also friends with William Wilberforce and encouraged him to fight to abolish the slave trade in Britain, which he was successful in doing. Unfortunately, it was one year after William Pitt’s death that by act of parliament The Slave Trade Act of 1807 was agreed.

Statue of William Pitt the Younger in George Street Edinburgh

THE ASSEMBLY ROOMS

GEORGE STREET EDINBURGH

The Assembly Rooms opened in 1787, the Assembly Rooms were created as a meeting place, a place to be entertained and a place Royalty used for banquets. The Edinburgh Festival Fringe used it for shows and the centre for meeting after the shows. The 18th century building has survived and is still used for the same purpose since its opening in 1787.  There has been a wide range of distinguished guests and historical events.  The building has been renovated and returned to its former glory, the interior architectural significance preserved and enhanced.  A ballroom, music hall, drawing rooms, crush hall, restaurant and café provide elegant backdrops for all occasions.

 Assembly Halls George Street Edinburgh

KING GEORGE IV

GEORGE STREET EDINBURGH

King George IV was the first reigning monarch to make a state visit to Scotland since 1650. The 1822 visit was organised by Sir Walter Scott and Henry Dundas and to include a tartan pageantry, which was later to make tartan become Scotland’s national dress. The bridge that spanned the Cowgate was to be named after George IV.

The bridge was completed in 1832 as part of the Improvement Act of 1827. George IV Bridge was built to connect the South Side district of Edinburgh to the New Town. The statue of George IV stands in George Street at the junction of Hanover Street once named George Circle. Once called George Circle.  The statue of George IV has Henry Dundas looking down from his elevated pedestal having a good laugh at the garments George IV was wearing. Tartan regalia with pink tights.

Statue of King George IV in George Street Edinburgh

Royal Society of Edinburgh

George Street Edinburgh

The RSE was created in 1783 by Royal Charter for “the advancement of learning and useful knowledge”.  As many professional bodies and societies of Edinburgh the first meetings of their organisations were held in rooms in the Edinburgh University Old College. The Royal Society of Edinburgh was no different they began with meetings in the library wing in 1807 then moved to another popular meeting place in the day the Physicians Hall in George street eventually moving after short stays in other places to the present building in George Street in 1909. The Royal Society of Edinburgh is a registered charity in Scotland for education and providing the public benefit throughout Scotland.

Royal Society of Edinburgh George Street

St Andrew's and St George's

West Church

George Street Edinburgh

ST Andrew's Church George Street Edinburgh was built in 1784 and named after St. Andrew Square. St George's Church in Charlotte Square Edinburgh was built in St George Square, renamed Charlotte Square after King George

the III’s wife Charlotte and was united with St Andrew church Edinburgh in 1964, forming St Andrew and St George. 

In 2010 it was also united with the St Andrew west church in Shandwick Place Edinburgh and became

St Andrew and St George West Church. Also a place that Rod Stewart Singer and entertainer had his child christened.

St Andrew and St George's Parish Church George Street Edinburgh

Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society

Plaque

George Street Edinburgh

Scotland’s Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society Plaque George Street Edinburgh is on the site where Scotland’s Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society was founded.in 1809 by Dr Andrew Duncan. It became the Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society in 1778 by charter of George III. This was the original site of the Royal College of Physicians. This was also a previous site of the Physic Garden from 1675 -1763. 

George Street Caledonian Horticultural Society Plaque

JAMES CLARK MAXWELL

GEORGE STREET EDINBURGH

James Clark Maxwell was born in 1831 at 14 India Street Edinburgh and died in 1879. James Clerk Maxwell was one of the greatest scientists that ever lived.  He was the scientist  who discovered,the theory of electromagnetism. 

He is named as the father of modern physics. He also made essential contributions to mathematics,astronomy and engineering. Radio, television, radar and communications, all derive from Maxwell's discovery. Albert Einstein said: "The special theory of relativity owes its origins to Maxwell's equations of the electromagnetic field”. Ivan Tolstoy, in his biography of Maxwell, wrote:

“Maxwell's importance in the history of scientific thought is comparable to Einstein’s (whom he inspired)”

James Clark Maxwell  Statue George Street Edinburgh

Frederick Street Edinburgh

Frederick Street runs north to south crossing George Street starting at Princes Street and ending at Queen Street. Named after King George III father Frederick. There are retail shops. Pubs, night clubs, restaurants and residences. At the junction of George Street a statue of William Pitt the Younger Prime Minister of Britain.  The junction with Princes Street and Frederick Street is the best place for a picture of the Edinburgh Castle. The Cavalryman and Horse on the Princes Street Gardens side at the foot of Frederick Street is a memorial to the Royal Scots Greys Cavalry Regiment .

Hanover Street Edinburgh

Hanover Street is in the centre of princes street going north with retail shopping, restaurants, pubs and night clubs originally residential with a number of businesses. Hanover Street was named by King George III after the Royal House of Hanover. King George IV stands looking down Hanover Street in Highland Dress a stipulation made by Sir Walter Scott when he invited the king to Edinburgh in 1822. Hanover Street starts at Princes Street and ends at Queen Street.

Alexander Bain

Electric Clock and Telegraph Inventor

Alexander Bain had a workshop at 21 Hanover Street Edinburgh for circa 4 years from 1844, with inventions of the chemical telegraph and electric fire alarms and the electric clock which he patented in 1841. 

Alexander Bain Inventor Workshop Hanover Street Edinburgh
Alexander Bain Inventor Workshop Hanover Street Edinburgh

Merchant’s Hall

Hanover Street Edinburgh

 

Merchant Company of Edinburgh

The Merchant Company of Edinburgh was established in 1681. The previous name was the Guidry before it became a society. Their first meeting hall was in the Cowgate Edinburgh and they then moved to Hunter Square before moving to its final home of Hanover Street. The Merchant Company was a watch dog for Edinburgh looking after the concerns and needs of the people. Over time the wealthy would leave their estates to be administered by the Merchant Company by way of a trust. This resulted in with well-judged investments the Merchant Company become the largest land owners in Scotland. The Merchant Company in 1694 with a donation from Mary Erskine a widow, which established Mary Erskine School. With other donations and bequests and trusts, further education facilities were opened, George Watson’s College in 1741, George Watson was an accountant, and merchant banker and the first accountant of the Bank of Scotland, James Gillespie’s High School in 1803, James Gillespie was a local Tobacconist in the High Street Edinburgh and Daniel Stewart held an appointment in the Court of Exchequer, Daniel Stewart’s College in 1855 which is now ESMS (Erskine, Stewart, Melville Schools). John Watson’s School in built in 1828 at 75 Belford Road next to the Dean Cemetery. The Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce was established as an off shoot of the Merchant’s Society of Edinburgh in 1786.

The Merchants Hall Hanover Street Edinburgh
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon

© 2020 by All About Edinburgh. 

started 16 / 03 /2017