Barnton and Cammo Edinburgh
The Royal Burgess Golfing Society (The Burghers) 1735
The Royal Burgess Golfing Society near Cramond the Oldest Golf Club in the world. There were six golf clubs that played their golf at Bruntsfield Links of which The Burghers were one, they were the first to be instituted in 1735 the club house the Old Golf Tavern was used by all clubs. circa 1780 the society became known as the Edinburgh Burgess Golfing Society and by Royal Edict dated 30 September 1929 His Majesty King George V commanded that the name be changed to The Royal Burgess Golfing Society of Edinburgh. The Club moved to its present home at Barnton in 1895 designed by a Musselburgh Golfer Willie Park Jnr who won the open Championship in 1887 and 1889. His family were golfers, his father Willie Park Snr won the first Open in 1860 and also in 1863, 1866 and 1875 and his uncle Mungo Park won in 1874
The Royal Burgess Golfing Society Instituted in 1735.
The Plaque shows golfers of the original Burghers at Bruntsfield Links where they first played for a silver putter.
The Burghers now The Royal Burgess is the oldest golf club in the world. The first Golf Club House being Ye Old Golf Tavern.
(The Secret Bunker)
Presently under construction to be a visitor site
The Secret Bunker can be found just off Clermiston Road North there is a small car park at the side of the road and it is a short walk to the Bunker. This was one of the largest underground military installations in the UK. The purpose of the bunker was to house a radar detection unit and Royal Air Force fighter response command protecting the UK from Russian long range nuclear threats. This facility was a national secret installation for many years.
There were 3 other similar sites in the UK Kelvedon Hatch (London), Shipton (Yorkshire), Bawburgh (Norfolk) These 4 sites were the top of the Radar command.
Cammo House Ruins
Nature Reserve Edinburgh
Cammo House was built in the early part of the 1690s by a John Menzies a wealthy businessman and was later sold
to Sir John Clerk in 1710. Sir John Clerk with an interest in landscaping set out the gardens of Cammo house over the
next several years. The house is now a ruin and the lands are now open to the public. Things to look for are the ruin
of Cammo House, the said to be oldest and largest Ash tree in Edinburgh, the East Lodge, Cammo Tower,
The Cammo Stane and if very lucky the Ghosts of Cammo House.
Cammo Ancient Tree Planted 1854
Cammo Nature Reserve
Cammo Standing Stone
Cammo Water Tower
Cammo water tower was built in the 1870’s and supplied Cammo house with water. The water was run by a pump by a windmill that was on top of the Tower which is no longer there.