Candlemakers' Row Grassmarket Edinburgh
Candlemakers' Row was once the main thoroughfare from the Grassmarket out of Edinburgh linking with Jamaica Street (now Chamber Street) which ended at Blackfriars Abbey (foot of Infirmary Street). Candlemakers' Row winds up from the Grassmarket at Cowgatehead to Greyfriars Place at George IV Bridge and Chamber Street where the Scottish National Museum Stands. At the top of Candlemakers' Row is where the statue of Greyfriars Bobby can be found an icon of the City of Edinburgh. A small street of to the east halfway up Candlemakers' Row (Merchant Street ) has restaurants, pubs and accommodation and the George IV Bridge can be sent stretching over the street. This street is a dead end. On the west side of Candlemakers' Row stands Greyfriars Graveyard, where many famous Edinburgh people are buried and where Ghostly goings on with haunted graves and unexplained noises.
The Ancient Corporation of Candlemakers' Hall stood close to the Greyfriars gates on the west side of Candlemaker's Row. This is where the street name originated. The Candlemakers' Hall was built in 1722 and still can be seen today. The Row was where all the Candlemaker’s of Edinburgh would make candles and the smell was on occasion so strong that residents of Candlemaker’s Row tried to stop the trade.
Greyfriars Bobby Statue
Greyfriars Bobby was a Skye terrier who became known in 19th-century Edinburgh after spending 14 years guarding the grave of his owner, John Gray. Bobby himself died in 1872. A year later a statue was erected at the top of Candlemaker Row across from the Greyfriars Kirkyard. There is also a red granite headstone in Greyfriars kirkyard near the gate. Have a stroll around the Greyfriars Kirkyard and see many famous and powerful people of old Edinburgh. Greyfriars Bobby died 14th January 1872 age 16 years Let his loyalty and devotion be a lesson to us all.
Greyfriars Bobby Plaque
The Plaque underneath the statue of the dog reads; A tribute to the affectionate fidelity of Greyfriars Bobby in 1858 this faithful dog followed the remains of his master to Greyfriars Kirkyard and lingered near the spot until his death in 1872. With permission erected by the Baroness Burdett Coutts.
Cowgatehead Parish Church
The Cowgatehead Free Church stands at the junction of Candlemaker's Row and Cowgate in Edinburgh. William Whyte the bookseller had a shop at 13 George Street in Edinburgh and lived Kirkbrae Liberton. Inscription above door of church reads; "Erected and endowed from funds bequeathed by William Whyte Edinburgh MDCCCLXI" (1861)