This is a look at the West of Edinburgh
history and attractions.
Gorgie is a suburb of Edinburgh just 2 miles to the west of Haymarket Edinburgh.
Circa 1850 Gorgie stood outside Edinburgh City limits.
Saughton Hall Mansion
The oldest building in the area is the old Saughton Hall Mansion (Stenhouse Mansion) Patrick Ellis merchant of Edinburgh extended the original house to the south in 1623.
Sir Robert Baird purchased the lands of Saughton hall in 1650 his son James was born in Saughton hall in 1658.
On lintel above door an old Edinburgh legend (gilded letters): BLISIT . B . GOD . FOR . AL . HIS . GIFTIS
Georgie City Farm
Gorgie City Farm opened to the public in 1982 and is open 7 days a week with free entry. The farm animals consist of Goats Guinea Pigs Turkey Cows Pygmy Goats Chickens Ducks Ferrets Lizards Love Birds Alpaca Budgies Rabbits Axolotl Rabbits and Sheep.
There is also a cow and a pony. There are pet lodge animals of which rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, tortoise and one snake. Come to the only city farm in Edinburgh.
Great for children.
Heart of Midlothian
The Heart of Midlothian football club was founded in 1874 and played their football in the East Meadows. The East Meadows hosted the first Edinburgh Derby with Hibernian on Christmas day 1875. Tynecastle Park in the Gorgie area of Edinburgh is where the stadium has stood since the main stand opened in 1914.
The Stadium has a Museum bar, café, shop and restaurant
North British Distillery
The North British Distillery was established in 1885 by Andrew Usher, William Sanderson and John Crabbie in competition with the Caledonian Distillery based at Haymarket Edinburgh. Whisky started to be produced in 1887 and within the first full year of production became the most popular distillery in Britain. In 1988 the North British distillery was the only grain distillery left in Edinburgh after the Caledonian Distillery closed. The original chimney of the Caledonian Brewery still stands
The Magdalene Asylum
The Magdalene Asylum for fallen women was a refuge to help the women of Edinburgh, single mothers, released women prisoners and prostitutes. To educate and help them with social skills. As there were over 200 brothels in Edinburgh the problem was vast. The Asylum was first based in the Canongate in 1797 and moved by the Dr William Tait in 1842 to the edge of the City of Edinburgh near Tynecastle Toll.
Masonic Lodge No 832
Lodge No 832 Heart of Midlothian was chartered in 1896 by the Grand Lodge of Scotland Lodge 832 held their meetings in 27 Murieston Crescent (see images below) from 1904 but have moved to the Caledonian Lodge at 5 Roseburn Gardens.
Dalry Manor House was home to the Chiesley family, built in 1661 by Walter Chiesley of Dalry Ayrshire, who was Lord Provost of Edinburgh on two occasions he had two sons Robert (also Lord Provost of Edinburgh twice) and John, Robert died in the Bedlam Asylum at Bristo Loosing all his money on the Darien Scheme and John was hanged for the murder of
Sir George Lockhart in 1689 (John shot Lockhart when leaving St Giles Cathedral on Sunday 31st March and Hanged 3rd April at the Castlehill ). his ghost is believed to haunt the area around Dalry House.
George Lorimer Jnr & Robert Clark opened Lorimer & Clark’s Caledonian Brewery in 1869 on the site it still occupies and brews to this day. In the late 1800’s there were over 40 breweries in Edinburgh as there was an abundance of barley and good water. The Caledonian Brewery is the only survivor of all the breweries which include Scottish and Newcastle Tennent’s and Dryburgh’s. To keep ahead of the competition Caledonian Brewery, in 1990 brewed the world’s first organically brewed beer. Deuchers IPA another of the Caledonian beers was voted Scotland’s number one Beer.
Ewan Williamson was a dedicated Fire-fighter and sadly lost his life while saving others on the 12 July 2009.
A very well like gentleman and a good basketball player liked by all.
There are two plaque on the building where he lost his life.
The red plaque reads;
Honouring the bravery and sacrifice of
of Tollcross Fire station
who gave his life in the line of duty
on Dalry Road Edinburgh.
12 July 2009
The square plaque reads;
This plaque is dedicated
to the memory of
Fire-fighter Ewan Williamson
Who died in the line of duty
Rescuing the lives of Dalry residents
on 12 July 2009
Athletic Arms Bar
One of the most well known pubs in Edinburgh is the Athletic Arm or known by everyone as Diggers. First opened in 1897 Given its name as it stands between to cemeteries Dalry Cemetery and North Merchiston Cemetery and was the haunt of the grave diggers from both cemeteries. Now Diggers have moved into whisky and have a selection of 40 different good quality malt whiskies that sell @ £2.50 for 35ml.