Magdalen Chapel Cowgate Edinburgh
Magdalen Chapel Cowgate Edinburgh EH1 1JR
The Magdalen Chapel was built by Michael Macquhane and his wife Michael died in 1537 and his wife managed the completion of the chapel in 1542. The Magdalen Chapel was a chapel and Hospital for the poor. The Incorporation of Hammermen took over the running of the building in 1547. On the plaque above the door show their initials MM. JR. and the date of Janet Rynd's death 1553. The Chapel was a place of worship and also the guild Hall for the incorporation of Hammermen. The Hammermen were metal workers and tradesmen who became the trustees of the Chapel and attached building a hospital, which is now a hostel. Inside the Chapel is an amazing stain glass window which features the Royal Arms of Scotland and the Arms of Mary of Guise, the mother of Mary Queen of Scots. Also still in the Chapel is the Deacon of the Hammermen's Guild of Edinburgh chair which was made in 1708. There are many other artefacts from Scottish history on display in the Chapel please arrange a visit as there is much to see.
Magdalen Chapel Doorway Lintel
The Magdalen Chapel has a carved tablet above the entrance with initials and a date. there were also to carved figures which can be seen inside the chapel, One is of a bedeman (poor man) and the other is a Hammerman The two figures depict the poor man holding out his hand to the Hammerman for help.
The inscription above the door reads;
HE THAT HATH PITIE VPON THE POORE LENDETH UNTO
THE LORD AND THE LORD WILL RECOMPENCE HIM THAT
WHICH HE HETH GIUEN PRO: XIX. VERS XVII.
Magdalen Chapel Hammermen Guild Chair.
The Magdalen Chapel Incorporation of Hammermen's Guild Chair. This chair was where the Deacon would sit at meetings of the Hammermen. The Chair was made by Thomas Heron in 1708 at the cost of 33.13 Scots. It was restored in 2000. The Hammermen can trace the Deacons as far back as 1494. The coat of arms of the Hammermen can be seen on the back of the chair, a hammer with a crown above.
Magdalen Chapel Chandelier
The Chandelier that can be seen above the Deacon of Guild's Chair in the Magdalen Chapel was presented to the Magdalen Chapel in 1813 by the then Deacon William Armstrong. The Brods are inscribed panels which can be seen around the walls of the Magdalen Chapel and are records of gifts or legacies to the Chapel from the patrons. The first panel recorded in 1555.
Magdalen Chapel Brods
Edinburgh Coat of Arms
A painting hangs on the wall of the Magdalen Chapel of the Edinburgh Coat of Arms dated 1720. It was not until 1732 the coat of arms were formally granted to Edinburgh. The coat of arms were changed in 1975. The words on the scroll 'NISI DOMINUS FRUSTRA' have been associated with Edinburgh since 1647. The translation is 'Except the Lord in Vain'. A maiden stands to the right and a doe to the left of a Shield with Edinburgh Castle centre. The words on the plaque read; 'Insignia Civitatis Edinensis' translated means 'Excellent City Edinburgh'.
Magdalen Chapel, Scottish Reformation Society
and Protestant Institute
There are two large portraits in the Magdalen Chapel, Rev. Dr James Begg and Rev James Aitken Wylie both ministers in the Free Church of Scotland. Rev Begg was the founder of the Scottish Reformation Society and the Protestant Institute. Rev. Wylie author of The History of Protestantism and a professor of the Protestant Institute. The Protestant religion is described by any group or religion that had its basis originally in the Catholic Church.
Hammermen's Founders Panel .
The panel high on the wall of the Magdalen Chapel main hall is a carved panel preserved displaying the crest of the founders surmounted by the crown and hammer. The Hammermen's insignia of their craft. The panel dates from 1624.
Stain Glass Window
Inside the Chapel is an amazing stain glass window which features The Lion Rampant, the Royal Arms of Scotland and the
Arms of Mary of Guise, the mother of Mary Queen of Scots 1624. The coat of arms of Michael Macquhane founder of the Chapel and the arms of Michael and his wife Janet Rynd. This is the only pre-reformation stain glass in Scotland in tact.
Edinburgh Medical Missionary Society
Edinburgh Medical Missionary Society moved into 39 Cowgate in 1858 which was then owned by the Scottish Reformation Society. The EMMS (Edinburgh Medical Missionary Society and Livingstone Institute) rebuilt in 1877 and operated a dispensary for the local people. The building occupied from the corner of Candlemakers' Row to the Magdalen Chapel. Above the entrance on the corner are 13 carved heads
Livingstone Medical Missionary Memorial
The Rev. Robert Moffat D.D
Laid this stone 9th June 1877
Robert Moffat was the father-in-law of David Livingstone the African explorer.