HISTORIC SITES ATTRACTIONS ACTIVITIES AND SHOPS
Stockbridge name derives from wooden foot bridge. Stockbridge was deemed the northern extension of Edinburgh's new town. The area was largely in part designed by Sir Henry Raeburn artist who was born in the area and also died at his house in Carlton Street in 1823. There were many notable people that lived in the area. James Young Simpson being the most eminent lived with his brother David who was a master baker at No.1 Raeburn place on the corner of Dean Street and opened his first practice at 2 Deanhaugh Street. Christopher North lived in 29 Anne Street before moving to No. 6 Gloucester Place. There were street name changes from when first erected Veitch's Square named after the baker there was Virgin's Square, India Place was Athole Street, Upper Dean Terrace was Mineral Street, North West Circus Place was Stockbridge Brae.
STOCKBRIDGE SUNDAY MARKET
While in Edinburgh visit the Stockbridge Sunday Market 200 yards from St Bernard’s Well and next to the Water of Leith. Stockbridge has many shops, bars and restaurants and is close to the city centre.
A natural mineral spring was discovered on the Water of Leith near to Stockbridge in 1760, some claimed that the water could cure everything. In 1789 a building was erected over the well a Doric Temple with a dome and statue inside of Hygeia the Greek goddess of health. It was called St Bernard's Well. Another well was also found a short distance west and this was called St George’s Well. This was also to have the same powers as St Bernard’s Well but was never used to the extent of St Bernard's Well
Water of Leith Walkway from Saunders Street
at The Dene Archway to St Bernard's Well
The Water of Leith and the source of the mineral water for St Bernard's Well and St George's Well
John Wilson a writer, author, advocate and Professor of moral philosophy at the University of Edinburgh. He was most frequently identified by his pseudonym Christopher North.
His family home was 29 Ann Street before having to move and live at his mother’s house No 6 Gloucester Place with his family due to almost bankruptcy caused by his uncle’s dishonest speculation with his money. Through hard work he recovered to move his family to their new home in Ann Street where he remained until his death in 1854. His statue stands in East Princes Street Gardens between the mound precinct and the Walter Scott monument.
HORSE RIDER EAGLE
The Horse Rider and Eagle bronze was sculpted by Eoghan Bridge who was born in Edinburgh in 1963. The sculptor was completed in 1997 and can be found at the corner of a new housing development in Silvermills, Stockbridge. There is also a further statue on the bridge at Festival Square Lothian Road. The Silvermills area was once a small hamlet where there were a number of mills that processed silver.
The silver coming from the mines at Hilderslane Linlithgow.
The Edinburgh Academy opened its doors to pupils on 1st October 1824. Robert Louis Stevenson and
James Clark Maxwell were two former students. Sir Walter Scott, Lord Cockburn and Sir Robert Dundas
were just a few that instituted the Academy in 1832.