(Lord Cockburn Street)
Lord Cockburn Street was built as an access to the Waverley Bridge Road at Waverley Rail Station from the High Street near to the Tron Kirk. The Plans for Cockburn Street were submitted over a lengthy period circa 1850
and was finally completed in 1859.
Lord Cockburn Street was named after Lord Cockburn who was one of the most respected Gentlemen of Edinburgh.
He Died in 1854 and a Carved Stone of his Head and Shoulders are above No1-3 Cockburn Street now the Edinburgh Military Tattoo Offices.
Lord Henry Cockburn
The Edinburgh Military Tattoo Office was originally built as a hotel (The Cockburn hotel built circa 1862).
The carving above door of a head is Lord Cockburn with gilt writing MacPherson on lintel. (Previous owner)
Lord Cockburn was a conservationist and saved many important buildings in Edinburgh. The street is named after him.
Lord Henry Cockburn died in 1854 at the age of 74.
A conservationist the Cockburn Association which was established in 1875 was named after Lord Henry Cockburn.
A statue of Lord Henry Cockburn stands in the north-east corner of Parliament Hall in the High Street Edinburgh.
When Cockburn Street was built (circa 1859) it cut through many old closes, which evidence of can be seen in
Old Fleshmarket Close where the smallest pub in Edinburgh can be found on the north side of the severed close.
Click on Fleshmarket Close Sign
for more information
Now Cockburn Street is known for a good selection of retail shops, restaurants, fast food outlets,
bars and accommodation.
Craig’s Close Edinburgh
The access to Craig’s Close from the High Street was closed when the Council offices were built in 1932. There were two parts to Craig’s Close, High Street – Cockburn Street (closed) and Cockburn Street – Market Street which is still open. Craig’s Close was the site of The Isle of Man Arms.
The Edinburgh Cape Club’s main meeting place. The Close was named after John Craig, wright and Burgess of Edinburgh who was the 3rd husband of Ann Hamilton who owned the lands . A town Councillor.
The Cape Club
At the foot of Craig’s Close that at one time started in the High Street Royal Mile and ended the Nor Loch, then was split by the building of Cockburn Street there used to stand a tavern where the Cape Club met. The Plaque at the foot of the upper section of Craig’s Close reads; Craig’s Close | site of Cape Club | spiritual home of | Robert Fergusson | Distinguished Edinburgh Poet | Died October 16 1774.
Scotsman Newspaper Building
Cockburn Street Edinburgh
The most prominent building in Lord Cockburn Street was and still is The Scotsman Building where the Scotsman newspaper was published and printed after moving from the High Street.
Look high up on the buildings to see sculptures of many things Devils Birds and more.