North Castle Street
SIR WALTER SCOTT
NORTH CASTLE STREET EDINBURGH
The Scott Monument, an icon of Edinburgh, a Gothic spire built in 1844 to honour Sir Walter Scott can be found in East Princes Street Gardens of Princes Street Edinburgh. The above view shows the Monument from North Bank Street with South St David Street in the background. Walter Scott was born in College Wynd in the Old Town of Edinburgh on 15 August 1771. The house is no longer there but a plaque on the wall at the top of Guthrie Street denotes the position of the house where he was born. The family moved to 25 George Square which was outside the city walls (pictured below) and that is where Walter Scott grew up. When he married he moved to his marital home 39 North Castle Street in the new town (pictured below). Walter Scott was a Scottish historical novelist and poet. Walter Scott’s most famous titles include Ivanhoe, Rob Roy, The Lady of the Lake, Waverley, The Heart of Midlothian and The Bride of Lammermoor. This 200-foot-tall monument to Scottish Author Sir Walter Scott was funded mostly by a great admirer and author Catherine Sinclair. Climb the steps to the top for an exceptional view of Edinburgh city centre.
WALTER SCOTT'S FAMILY HOME
39 NORTH CASTLE STREET EDINBURGH
8 SHANDWICK PLACE EDINBURGH SIR WALTER SCOTT'S LAST HOME IN EDINBURGH
Sir Walter Scott purchased land and had a large house built (Abbotsford House), on his Abbotsford estate in Melrose in the Scottish Borders. His final main residence in Edinburgh where he lived for 2 years was No. 6 Shandwick Place from 1828 - 1830. Where he lived is now No. 8. Abbotsford House is a monument to Sir Walter Scott, a place that must be visited by all. The Border Train takes you to Tweedbank Station where it is a 15 minute walk or a short taxi ride.