King’s Stables Road Grassmarket Edinburgh
King’s Stables Road joins the Old town at the Grassmarket, with the New Town at Lothian Road, towering over King's Stables Road to the east is Edinburgh Castle and the Castle Rock. To the west is a car park where the Stables once stood and West Port Suburbs where Burke and Hare the murders once lived. The Kings Bridge which stretches over the King’s Stables Road is where the old town is joined to the New Town at Johnston Terrace and Castle Terrace. The street name originates from when the Stables of the King were on the west side of the street. You will also find the west gate entrance to West Princes Street Gardens in King’s Stables Road and the entrance to St Cuthbert’s Church. There is a Cottage that stands in King's Stables Road (King's Stables Cottage) to the east the only building in the street on that side.
King's Bridge King’s Stables Road Grassmarket Edinburgh
King’s Bridge was built over 3 years by Thomas Hamilton, 1829-32 and opened in 1833 to give access from the old town by Johnston Terrace, the the west approach road, to the growing new town to the west. This bridge has four obelisk two on each side that dominates the central arch where the road goes through. The King's Stables Road from Lothian Road is one way and no access is available from the Grassmarket to Lothian Road by car.
St Cuthbert's R.C. Church Edinburgh
St Cuthbert's Church can be access from King's Stables Road. St Cuthbert is believed to have founded a church by the side of the Nor Loch at the foot of the Castle Rock. It is believed a church has stood on this site since 850 AD, making it Edinburgh’s oldest church building, history mentions St. Cuthbert’s church as far back as 1127. The Church steeple has been in place since 1789. The famous mathematician and inventor, John Napier is buried in the grave yard. In the graveyard are a number of famous people that help shape Edinburgh. Sir Henry Raeburn Painter, James Donaldson founder of Donaldson’s School, Catherine Sinclair author and Philanthropist main funder of the Scott Monument.
Bum the Vagabond Dog
King's Stables Road entrance to West Princes Street Gardens Edinburgh
Edinburgh and San Diego, California share a twinning link with a difference. Each city is home to a historic famous dog. Edinburgh has Greyfriars Bobby who died in 1872 at the age of 16 years and San Diego has Bum the vagabond dog who died in 1898 age 12 years. Bum can be found at the gate to West Princes Street Gardens of King Stable Road and Bobby stands in George IV Bridge at the top of Candlemaker’s Row, near the entrance to Greyfriars Kirk yard.
St Cuthbert's Lookout Tower King’s Stables Road Grassmarket Edinburgh
On the Corner of King's Stables Road and Lothian Road stands a castellated tower built 1827, this is where a guard would spend his nights watching over the graves of St Cuthbert's Church. Watching for the notorious Burke and Hare or some other rouges that were looking to make money by selling the bodies to the Doctor in the medical School, who used them to teach the students about anatomy.
King’s Stables Cottage King’s Stables Road Grassmarket Edinburgh
The now called King's Stables Cottage was built circa 1835 as a school house to teach trades to the many poor of Edinburgh part of the St Cuthbert's church poorhouse system. It is now a cottage to let for visitors to Edinburgh. A unique place to stay next to Edinburgh Castle a Graveyard and Princes Street Gardens.