EDINBURGH CASTLE ESPLANADE
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade has many memorial plaques and a statues looking at Edinburgh Castle from the Esplanade to the left is the Royal Palace wher the flag pole with flag ar situated.and above the main entrance at the drawbridge id the Half Moon Battery to the right is the Forewell Battery and Mills Mount.
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade Garrison Shield and Motto
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade is the area for four weeks of the year the world famous Edinburgh Military Tattoo his held. During the months of July and August is the main showcase of Edinburgh. This is when The Fringe Festival and Edinburgh International Festival takes place and tourists from around the world can be seen in their 100s of thousands. Looking around the Esplanade you can see memorials, statues and plaques to the regiments and heroes of the past battles. There is one obelisk, one statue, 3 plaques, 3 crosses, a wall fountain and the Ewart grave. Below are photographs of all the things to see before entering Edinburgh Castle where there are many more things to see. St Margret's Chapel 3 Museums, Mons Meg a giant canon and the firing of the One O'clock Gun every day except Sunday.
“nemo me impune la cessit”
no one attacks me with without punishment.
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade Castle Drawbridge
The drawbridge at the entrance to Edinburgh Castle spanning the moat which helped protect the Castle from intruders. On guard on either side of the drawbridge are statues, on the right is William Wallace and the left is Robert the Bruce when facing the castle. Above the gateway, can be seen the coat of arms and motto of the Regiment of Scotland, who were based at Edinburgh Castle until the amalgamation of the Scottish regiments in 2006.
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade Robert the Bruce Statue
King Robert the Bruce. On the left side facing the Edinburgh Castle drawbridge stands Robert I, known as Robert the Bruce, became King of Scots on 25 March 1306. At the Battle of Bannockburn in June 1314, he led a Scottish army and defeated the English army lead by Edward II. To confirm an independent Scottish monarchy in 1320 a letter was sent to Pope John XXII declaring that Robert the Bruce was their rightful monarch. This letter was the 'Declaration of Arbroath' and it asserted the antiquity of the Scottish people and their monarchy. In 1324 Robert the Bruce received papal recognition as king of an independent Scotland. Robert died on 7 June 1329. He was buried in Dunfermline Abbey and his heart is buried in Melrose Abbey.
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade William Wallace Statue
Sir William Wallace (Braveheart). On the right side facing the Edinburgh Castle drawbridge stands two mighty warriors. William Wallace was born circa 1270. At Stirling Bridge 1297 he defeated the English army. Around 1298 he was knighted and appointed 'guardian of the kingdom'. On the 22 July 1298, the Scottish army lead by Wallace battled the English arms of Edward I near Falkirk, the Scots were heavily defeated but Wallace escaped. Edward hated Wallace and put a price on his head. Wallace was finally captured on the 3 August 1305 in Robroyston, north of Glasgow and transported to London. He was charged and tried with treason, which he denied, saying he had never sworn allegiance to the English king. His execution was held on 23 August 1305, where he was hung, drawn and quartered. His head was placed on London Bridge, and his limbs displayed in Newcastle, Berwick, Stirling and Perth.
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade Plaque
Sir William Alexander First Baron of Nova Scotia
In 1621, King James granted Sir William Alexander the land in North America between New England and Newfoundland, as Nova Scotia ("New Scotland"). To promote the settlement of Nova Scotia, the Baronetage of Nova Scotia was created in 1624. Scots Law, baronets had to "take sasine" by symbolically receiving the earth and stone of the land of which they were baronet. To make this possible, as Nova Scotia was so far away, the King declared that sasine could be taken either in Nova Scotia or, "at the Castle of Edinburgh as the most eminent and principal place of Scotland".
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade |The King’s Own Scottish Borderers Memorial
On the 19th March 1689 David Leslie Earl of Leven gathered a regiment of soldiers within two hours to defend the City of Edinburgh. For Leven’s regiment’s gallantry in defending Edinburgh and later at the Battle of Killiecrankie with a resounding victory for the Jacobite’s lead by James VII of Scotland and II of England, the magistrates of Edinburgh gave the unique right of recruiting by the beat of the drum, marching through the Edinburgh streets with drums beating and flags flying and bayonets fixed. The regiment was later named The King’s Own Scottish Borderers.
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade
Field Marshal His Royal Highness Frederick Duke of York
The Duke of York (1763-1827) was appointed Commander in Chief of the British Army in 1795. His parents King George III and his mother Queen Charlotte were instrumental in shaping Edinburgh’s New Town with streets named by and after them. King George III was the first King of Great Britain and Ireland.
KING GEORGE III
King George III (George William Frederick) was born 4 June 1738 in London. He became king in October 1760 at 22. His wife was Charlotte and they had 16 children, 10 sons and 6 daughters and were married for 57 years. He died in January 1820 at 81. During his reign he had Edinburgh’s new town built and purchased Buckingham House in London in 1762 which later became Buckingham Palace.
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade | Scottish Horse Memorial Cross
This is a memorial to the Scottish Horse Regiment who were killed during the South African War of 1901-2.
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade | The Runic Cross
The Runic Cross was erected in 1862 for the memory of the officers, non-commissioned officers and private soldiers of the 78 highland regiment who died at the suppression of the First Relief of Lucknow in 1857 during the Indian Mutiny (1857-59). Eight men of the 78th Highland Regiment were awarded the Victoria Cross and the regiment also received the Victoria Cross during the campaign. The troubles started due to the bullets being covered with pig fat which they had to bite. Putting pork of any kind in their mouths is against the religious beliefs of Hindus and Muslims.
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade | 72nd Highlanders
The Obelisk was erected in memory of the officers, Non-commissioned officers and men of the Duke of Albany's 72nd highlanders who died in the Afghan campaigns of 1878, 1879 and 1880.
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade Ensign Ewart Memorial and Grave
SERGEANT CHARLES EWART
Battle of Waterloo 18th June 1815. In 1938 the actual remains of Ensign Ewart were re-interred on Edinburgh Castle’s Esplanade. (Pictured) battle date, the eagle standard of the French Army and memorial stone. Look behind the memorial stone and you can see his head stone.
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade
For the whole story of his heroic act click on this link
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade
The Princess Louise’s Argyllshire Highlanders. Fountain
Princess Louise Her Royal Highness, Marchioness of Lorne, 9th Duchess of Argyll and Queen Victoria’s daughter. She had many honours bestowed upon her. The 91st Argyllshire Regiment name changed in her honour to 91st (Princess Louise's Argyllshire Highlanders) Regiment of Foot. She had a strong connection with Canada and a province (Alberta), a mountain (Alberta) and villages of Caroline and Alberta named after her. The inscription on the memorial Drinking Fountain above the trough reads; THE PRINCESS LOUISE’S ARGYLLSHIRE HIGHLANDERS.
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade |Gordon Highlanders
This memorial is to the officers and men of the Gordon Highlanders who lost their lives in the South African war from 1899 to 1902 in Natal, Transvaal, Cape Colony and The Orange Free State. The Gordon Highlanders was an army infantry regiment from 1881 until 1994. The regiment took its name from the Clan Gordon and recruited principally from Aberdeen and the North-East of Scotland.
Edinburgh Castle Esplanade | 78th Highlanders Memorial Celtic Cross
The Celtic Cross was erected in memory of Colonel Kenneth Douglas Mackenzie a member of the 92nd Highlanders for forty-two years. He died on duty in 1873.