The first noted owners of the lands were Thomas de Marshal and Robert de la Roche in 1296. The Forrester family were associated with the Corstorphine area for over 300 years circa 1377 – 1698 when sold to the Wallace family. It was then sold to the Dick’s of Prestonfield a wealthy and powerful family that owned lands all over. Corstorphine was named the Barony of Corstorphine in 1431. There is still remnants of where the Forrester’s lived in a dovecot, which belong to the Castle. No remains of the castle are left to be seen. The Castle was surrounded to the south and east by Corstorphine loch and residents would have to use a boat to get supplies from Colt bridge area. The area around Corstorphine was flat with lochs and marshland and was used for grazing cattle and sheep, which gave the area the notable first mentions of the drink Corstorphine Cream circa 1740. Corstorphine was the first place the making of cream had been heard of. In the Corstorphine Kirk is a tomb and effigies of Sir John Forrester and his first wife Jean Sinclair and Marian Stewart his 2nd wife from circa 1445. Corstorphine became a part of Edinburgh in 1920.
This is a fine example of a Do’cot which served the main house or castle with fresh meat and eggs. The young pigeons would be eaten as they were the best meat. This Do’cot had over 1000 nesting boxes. Corstorphine Castle was the home of the Forrester family, Lairds of Corstorphine from 1376 – 1698. The Castle was destroyed and finally demolished in 1797 when a horde of god was found. The Do’cot is all that remains of the Castle buildings.
Old Corstorphine Village
Old Corstorphine Parish Church is one of the oldest churches in Edinburgh with history going back to 1380 when a chancel was first built of which parts still remain. The first Chapel in Corstorphine was linked to the Abbey of Holyrood in 1128. The chapel is no more and the present Chapel which was enlarged in 1429 in the form of a Jerusalem Cross is on the same site. In the Church is the founder’s tomb Sir John Forrester. Also tombs of his two sons John and Alexander. In 1589 Corstorphine church became a parish church with its first minister being John Nimmill. There are stain glass windows which are of biblical scenes and other relics of ancient heritage.
Gibson’s Lodge (Dower House)
Corstorphine Heritage Centre
The Dower House is found in St Margaret’s Park in the centre of Old Corstorphine Village. The park area previously being a market garden. The Dower House of the Forrester family was built circa 1665.
Corstorphine Physic Well
The Physic Well in Corstorphine in the eighteenth century was renowned for its medicinal waters. This well was on the southside of the Stank burn & some 40 yards east of this spot. Where its wellhead was rebuilt in 1972 when the burn was culverted. The well was at its height of use circa 1740 when a wealthy merchant built a hotel for the travellers who came to drink from the well at it was said to have powers to cure many ailments.