Sir Walter Scott
Scottish historical novelist
Lawyer and Sheriff
Father: Walter Scott (1729–1799) Mother: Anne Rutherford (1733 - 1819)
Walter Scott born 15 /08/1771
Sir Walter Scott’s wife Charlotte died in 1826.
Sir Walter Scott die at his home, Abbotsford on 21 September 1832.
In 1779 he went to the High School in Edinburgh (in High School Yards).
In 1783 he stayed for six months with his aunt Jenny at Kelso in the Scottish Borders, where he also attended
Kelso Grammar School. November 1783 he started at the University of Edinburgh age 12.
Studying Law at the University of Edinburgh he became a Lawyer (like his father) he was admitted to the
Faculty of Advocates in 1792.
In 1797 he join the Royal Edinburgh Volunteer Light Dragoons when the French invaded Leith.
Walter met Charlotte Charpentier of Lyon, three weeks later they were married
on Christmas Eve 1797 in St Mary's Church, Carlisle.
Sir Walter Scott was a member of the Freemason Lodge, St David, No. 36 (Edinburgh), in 1801
He was ordained as an elder in Duddingston Kirk in 1806.
Walter Scott published Marmion in 1808.
Walter Scott’s most famous titles include Ivanhoe, Rob Roy,
The Lady of the Lake, Waverley, The Heart of Midlothian and The Bride of Lammermoor.
Sir Walter Scott's
Near this spot stood the house in which Walter Scott was born on the 15 August 1771. The family lived here until 1774.
The street which is no longer here, was College Wynd a street leading to the university building called the old College.
Sir Walter Scott's
25 George Square Edinburgh which was outside the city walls is where Walter Scott grew up until he married at 26.
Walter Scott was born on 15 August 1771, in a third-floor apartment on College Wynd.
Walter Scott moved to one of the first houses to be built in George Square Edinburgh with his parents.
Sir Walter Scott's
Walter Scott first rented a flat in 50 George Street for just under a year then late in 1798 moved to 10 Castle Street and lived there for 3 years. At that time he also leased a cottage in Lasswade, from 1798 -1804 for a summer residence
where he would have many guests and groups of literary figures.
It was here his career as an author began.
They lived in a rented flat 50 George Street Edinburgh until 1802 when they moved to a house at
39 North Castle Street Edinburgh which he kept until 1826.
In 1804, he gave up the lease on Lasswade and leased a house at Ashiestiel 8 miles from Selkirk,
where the family lived for 7 years. Keeping 39 North Castle Street for a winter residence.
His next property was to be his final home from 1811 till his death in 1832.
He purchased the farm called
Cartley Hole Farm.
Which he renamed after a ford in the river where monks from the Abbey used, “Abbotsford”.
Over the years he would find ways to enlarge the house,
acquiring previous building materials from the old house being knocked down in Edinburgh.
The first phase in 1811–12, then a wide scale expansions in 1816–19 and 1822–24.
He was still living in North Castle Street, while developing Abbotsford.
The slab that is in Makars' Court Royal Mile Edinburgh with the inscription;
This is my own, my native land
Sir Walter Scott 1771 - 1832
Sir Walter Scott
The one and only time Robert Burns and Walter Scott (at age 15yrs) met was in the house of Professor Adam Ferguson
in Sciennes House Place, also present were Adam Smith, Dugald Stewart and Joseph Black.
This was a meeting place of the hierarchy of Edinburgh society.
Finding The Crown Jewels
The lost Crown Jewels (Honours of Scotland) thought lost were found in a box unopened for over 100 years
by Walter Scott in the Crown Room of Edinburgh Castle on 19 August 1818
Sir Walter Scott’s Invitation
With the connection, Sir Walter Scott had with the then Prince Regent George the Council of Edinburgh set the task for Sir Walter Scott to invite the new King George IV to Edinburgh, the first monarch to stand on Scottish soil from King Charles II at his Scottish coronation at Sone in 1651.
A pre-requisite of his invitation was that he was to wear kilts.
(Tartan having been banned from 1746 in the Highland Clearings). In July 1822 knowing of his visit ordered Kilts in bright red Royal Tartan, later known as Royal Stuart, which he wore as requested on his visit. It was the largest gathering of the clans after Culloden to honour the King whose bloodline went back to Bonnie Prince Charlie.
Sir Walter Scott, brought together a pageant of amazing magnitude presenting King George IV as the new Jacobite king. King George IV wore his Highland dress (Kilts) at the Palace of Holyrood House on 17 August 1822 to a ball in his honour.
Knighting Walter Scott
Prince Regent George later to be King George IV granted Walter Scott the title of baronet: in April 1820. Making him Sir Walter Scott.
Sir Walter Scott was the first baronet King George IV appointed after his coronation on 19 July 1821.
Honouring Sir Walter Scott
The Scott Monument, an icon of Edinburgh, a Gothic spire built in 1844 to honour Sir Walter Scott can be found in East Princes Street Gardens of Princes Street Edinburgh. This 200 foot tall monument to Scottish author
Sir Walter Scott was funded mostly by a great admirer and author Catherine Sinclair.
Climb the steps to the top see statues of other great historic figures and for an exceptional view
of Edinburgh city centre.
The picture below shows the Monument from North Bank Street with South St David Street in the background.
The inscriptions on the plaque on the stone reads; The Scott Monument. This Plaque and stone commemorate
the restoration of the nearby memorial to one of Scotland’s greatest writers SIR WALTER SCOTT (1771- 1832).
The monument was built between 1840 and 1846 with stone from the Binny quarry in West Lothian.
Which was specially reopened for the 1998 – 1999 restoration.
The project was supported by
The Heritage lottery fund
and The City of Edinburgh Council
Replica Scott Monument
Honouring Catherine Sinclair
The Victorian Gothic spire of the Scott Monument that stands in East Princes Street Gardens Edinburgh was
designed by George Meikle Kemp. It was completed in 1844 and stand over 200 foot high (61mtrs).
The funding to build it was made possible by another great writer Catherine Sinclair
who donated the majority of the funds. Catherine Sinclair was honoured by Edinburgh Council
with her own monument on the corner of St Colme Street Edinburgh a replica of the Scott Monument that she funded.